Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Borax as a flux

Quote Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
    Thanks

So is Borax really that old fashioned? It's what we use in class, but if there is an easier way...
    erm well grinding a bit of borax down is hardly the most strenous exercise it is lol, people tend to use the auflux cos it doesent bubble as much but i usually put my borax on heat it till it bubbles and then put my solder on, its cheaper and doesent end up all over the bench when you have forgotten to put the lid back on!

we use cone borax at my class too, and i must admit it really bugs me when i have lined something up and then the borax bubbles and moves it all!! I havent tried auflux, but i will definately take a look at it.
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

I must admit that I'm using borax still, purely because when I started and wanted to try soldering, it was the cheapest to get something to start with and didn't require the expense of sending by carrier - and appeared least toxic when I was going to be soldering in the kitchen. I've now got used to getting it to work best, so haven't yet felt compelled to change. I'd have to repeat that process to use something different.

I just spend a few minutes periodically with a knife blade and scrape a load off into a container and mix a little paste when I need it. I've got used to working with it now and find that letting it dry thoroughly, or as Emerald says, applying some heat until it settles before putting the solder in place, or placing it with a pick when it's heating, it works perfectly well. I can tell by the appearance of it when the solder will flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    I must admit that I'm using borax still, purely because when I started and wanted to try soldering, it was the cheapest to get something to start with and didn't require the expense of sending by carrier - and appeared least toxic when I was going to be soldering in the kitchen. I've now got used to getting it to work best, so haven't yet felt compelled to change. I'd have to repeat that process to use something different.

I just spend a few minutes periodically with a knife blade and scrape a load off into a container and mix a little paste when I need it. I've got used to working with it now and find that letting it dry thoroughly, or as Emerald says, applying some heat until it settles before putting the solder in place, or placing it with a pick when it's heating, it works perfectly well. I can tell by the appearance of it when the solder will flow.
    Yes I have got used to heating it before putting solder near it to get it to settle, but i found it still moved the delicate stuff, and somewhat obscures the view if you get me, but i think i will have to try holding stuff down with a pick as you say.

Not tried making shavings, sounds better and faster than the "rotate the cone around the dish" technique that i do lol
    Su' xx

One day i will arrive

The borax dish is rubbish and you'll never get enough off that way. I just scrape it off like sharpening a pencil or peeling a carrot, with a scalpel blade or craft knife. It comes off as powder as long as you use the right angle and don't dig the knife in.

I do it into a little airtight container, but over a sheet of paper (I fold it in 4 so that the creases allow me to shake it to the centre to retrieve), as it spreads a little, but that keeps me going for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    The borax dish is rubbish and you'll never get enough off that way. I just scrape it off like sharpening a pencil or peeling a carrot, with a scalpel blade or craft knife. It comes off as powder as long as you use the right angle and don't dig the knife in.

I do it into a little airtight container, but over a sheet of paper (I fold it in 4 so that the creases allow me to shake it to the centre to retrieve), as it spreads a little, but that keeps me going for a few weeks.
    Thanks boo - guess what i will be doing tomorrow
    Su' xx

One day i will arrive

Boo - why not just buy powder?

I probably still have 70%+ of my original cone left. For the few seconds it takes, I shall continue until it's done. Five minutes every few weeks is not exactly worth spending cash I don't have to save the time.

George, you mentioned Firescoff in another thread here, but didn't reply to my question. Is it really as good as it sounds....and no pickling?

Sorry Nicci - I'd managed to miss that completely (I suspect my brain's already on half term).

It is as good as it says - a bit tiresome to apply for small stuff as you need to get the piece hot, (enough for a drop of water to boil off) and then coat everything pretty thoroughly. I think it works best for pallion soldering as it's hard move things around enough to coat them thoroughly once paste has been applied, and you have to do it this way round apparently. But it really does rinse off with water, and no firescale at all. I particularly like it for anything that's involved sheet as this seems to be when I've had most problems with stain.

It seems to last a very long time - I'm still happily using my first bottle.