Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sounds Stupid But ...

Default Sounds Stupid But ...

My OH in his infinate wisdom has just made a rather shocking suggestoin.

He wants to know why I haven't considered producing a range of focal components in copper for other makers to buy. His reasoning is that designers buy lampwork beads to enhance their work so why not copper.

After I'd stopped laughing I told him not to be so silly, anybody can do what I'm doing. His reply wasn't printable but he'd looked at what's available and doesn't think there is too much choice.

Could he possibly have stumbled onto something? Is there a little niche market out there? Could I provide enough variety to make it interesting? Does anyone have a nice quiet dark room I can use for a few hours?

These are all very scarey thoughts folks.
    Annie xXx

All things are possible - if you look at them the right way!

I don't see why not its not daft at all. always a market for handmade focal beads, lampwork or not...
    Em

Why not Annie? Even if you sell your jewellery, the more strings to your bow the better! You have the skill, you have the equipment - all you need now is the confidence.
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by The Dragon View Post
    Could he possibly have stumbled onto something?
    Yup!

Is there a little niche market out there?
    Don't see why not.
    You've just had a unique idea and found a gap in the market
    Go get 'em!!
    J x

I think it's a brilliant idea! Lots of people buy rather than make components.
    If you sell them alongside your finished jewellery it would be a case of 'look what you can do with these!'

I did toy with the idea of making silver components - clasps. pendanty bits etc. but:
    a) too lazy
    b) not confident enough
    c) afraid of treading on others' toes.

Sure, why not?

I don't work much with copper, mainly 'cos I've seen far more silver items I want to work with.

But I've been looking at copper recently because there is so many items made by our forum buddies that look amazing (I seem to be over using that word right now but it feels right) - pre-made focal items would be interesting to see as it appears I love making the chains rather than focal items myself at the moment.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

I think it's a great idea Annie

I probably sell as many findings (bead caps, earwires, lentils, round beads, clasps, hammered rings, etc etc etc) as I do finished jewellery. Which is a bit depressing at times

Sounds a great idea - I've not seen much available in copper focals etc at the moment but I get the feeling that more people are turning to copper as the price of silver has risen. I also think a lot of starters begin using copper so it would be great for them to have some decent components.

You could be onto something
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Well Annie...It looks to me that the trees in your wood are beginning to thin out (referring back to your other post with the rose necklace!) A great new direction to focus your skills for a while! What a little gem your husband is...I hope you have given him a and a for being so clever!!!

Bead shops sell a lot of charm type pieces and focal beads in silver for people who like to string together their jewellery. They have copper coloured findings, but can't say I've noticed any copper components. So there's a market perhaps.
    Linda