Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CG Silver cable necklet

Default CG Silver cable necklet

Has anyone bought any of these cable necklets- catalogue page 418?

Just wondered what they were like. I want to make some cluster like button necklets in this kind of style but with buttons and not sure what kind of necklace/necklet to buy.

I just just want something very simple/plain to put all the wired buttons onto so thought that maybe on of these necklets would be good, but wonder what they' be like with weight on them - do they stay circular or loose the circular form when they've got weight on them.

I was also looking at the plain neckwire with tube clasp - catalogue page 417.

Or maybe I should go for a chain type of wire and hook the wired buttons into the eyes of the chain. IF so what size do I get. I'm new to necklaces and have no idea!!!
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

These stay pretty circular, because they're literally a cable - like a choker. Personally, I don't think they work with multiple things hanging from them, and they do tend to work their way round the neck, so the fastening can end up in rather random places! If you hang more than one thing from them, they will bunch up and may not 'arrange' themselves as you wish either.

The style you've shown in the picture is based on a fairly straightforward length of trace or belcher chain, with beads wired and attached to every other link. The easiest way to choose a chain of this sort is to work out how many links per inch you are looking for (or what mm size you want each link to be) and work backwards from there.

Chains that might work well for this would include WVT I00, WVB C00, or you cold just make your own 1 in 1 or 2 in 2 chain with jump rings.

Can you link to item as I don't have the current catalogue...? (i never spend enough in one go to get it free!)

I've bought cable necklets before, I found that the thinner ones kink quite easily and I also had a problem with one that the end came off. I did wear the one in question quite a lot.

As MizG said - they do stay quite circular (the thicker ones more so) unless you put heavy items on them.

I just want to buy chain - I don't want to make it myself - is it cheaper to buy loose chain and attach clasps etc yourself, or is it cheaper to buy a finished chain. THink I'll get one of then cable necklets to see what they're like, but advice on chain would be great.
    Website | Instagram

Other than snake chains, I personally prefer to make up my own necklaces from raw chain and clasps - that way, I can always make the necklace the way I want it and adjust it for the customer - you lose that freedom if it's a commercially made complete necklace as often the ends are soldered etc. I like to make my own clasps to match the piece too.

As for price, I've found that there's not much in it, depending on how the supplier prices their items sometimes one way is cheaper than the other, other times not so. This doesn't happen as much here as Cookson's price by the weight at the time you buy.

Cookson's do a nice weight of belcher chain that I like as it has large enough links to wire wrap several stones into each link, so good for clusters like that. I use any small offcuts for earrings like this:

earrings4799f on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Photo 7 in my album of the "Twisted Sterling silver loop pendant" is on a length of it, antiqued. It's this one I think - the link won't seem to work, but it's product WVB B00 Silver Plain Oval 3 Belcher, Loose - works out about £8/m with VAT

those earrings are lovely - I've been doing the same, but with buttons - not got any pics yet though. So I'd like to make neclaces to match. I've gone a few calculations and figured out that if I buy loose chain and clasps then it works out cheaper than buying a finished chain of the same length, so going to do that and go for the plain oval belcher chain.
    Website | Instagram

I too use the unfinished chain all the time, WVB B00 I find this one very versatile xoxo

I use the Oval 3 Belcher quite a lot too and the Oval 4 Belcher (WVB C00) for a heavier look.

Yep, I love the belcher style too rather than curb etc.

Yep, I've used Belchers as well to dangle things off!