Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your latest project?

Default What's your latest project?

I always try to keep a new and exciting project on the go while I'm making lots of my usual collections. I'm currently experimenting in 9ct yellow and 18ct white gold and have been making an engagement ring and 2 wedding bands. I've ordered my first diamond and am looking forward to setting it next week. I'll post a photo when I'm done.

How about everyone else? Do you get in the rut of making the same things over and over, or do you experiment a lot?

I'm always experimenting and trying out new techniques when I see something in a book or magazine...have loads of half finished practice pieces everywhere...sometimes I will go back and take things apart again and make it in to something new. At the moment I am making wirework and stone bangles.

I really love your mixed media necklace btw

I'm just a beginner, so no getting in a rut here. I'm currently making a lot of button earrings and perfecting the art. Still haven't totally got the knack of soldering - so practice makes perfect. I have just learnt to make my own earwires and really chuffed with the results. Will be posting pics of my earring up when they're all down.

Diamonds...I think I'd be far to nervous to use them!
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

Well, having just bought about £500 of tools in order to start soldering / making rings / bangles and the like... my next project will be making two beautiful hammered wedding rings.

These rings are for myself and OH for when we get married late next year (with any luck)

Either that or the green cat's eye and AB swarovski Sterling Silver bracelet I'm going to make for myself.

I love making hammered wedding bands it's such a wonderful finish and the hammered facets catch the light.
    Hope you don't mind a little suggestion, make a few in silver to start with to get used to how much they stretch/size up.
    I'd make them at least 2 sizes smaller than you want the end result to be.
    Also make sure you use an unlined ring stick (the measured ones leave marks in the inside).

Nicola xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    I love making hammered wedding bands it's such a wonderful finish and the hammered facets catch the light.
    Hope you don't mind a little suggestion, make a few in silver to start with to get used to how much they stretch/size up.
    I'd make them at least 2 sizes smaller than you want the end result to be.
    Also make sure you use an unlined ring stick (the measured ones leave marks in the inside).

Nicola xx
    Hee hee they're going to be in Silver anyway as neither of us like gold at all... silver is so pretty and shiny

Yup I have both the plain mandrel and the ring sizing stick for rings so I'm all set to go just need the butane for my torch and off I go!

Thanks for the tip about undersizing... I didn't know what

Not doing much jewellery at the moment as I have to finish a stained glass panel for a customer. But 'just not that into it' as some of the colours don't seem right.

Dragon - The rings I'm making are for me and my partner! Nearly there with them, I'm just waiting for the diamond now and have a bit of boring 'finishing' to do. Hammered bands will be gorgeous. But as Nicola said, they will expand like anything when you hammer them, I've made that mistake a few times before

My 18ct white gold seems very dark to me, is this normal, not that I dislike it, I just didn't realise it was so different to silver! Plus the solder looks very light, but the solder never seems to match what ever metal I'm working in... I probably use too much though

18ct white can vary supplier to supplier (depends on the alloy mix),
    Yes it's normal, the main difference being that when you see it in the High Street it's Rhodium plated
    (so you're not seeing the white gold you're seeing the plating).

I made a hammered 18ct ring for myself and it's almost a platinum colour (nice)
    The solder mix will vary too...try pickling it again and then polishing to high shine,
    polishing helps blend the colour (I use cooksons rubber polishing tips)

Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

I've been 'playing' at making pmc rings using fine silver ring liners that I have made myself by fusing strips of fine silver. It's a bit of a game but I am getting the hang of it now that I have made 6 of the liners. Fusing fine silver is really a case of 'controlled melting' and as I haven't tried fusing anything larger than 1.5mm wire before it was a bit of a step up to do a 6mm wide 61mm circumference ring! I haven't wrecked one yet though...nothing a bit of judicious filing couldn't remedy anyway!!
    I am really enjoying the pmc part of it as well! Most of the work I do is based on making decorative fine silver chains out of wire - fusing all the links - so it is a big change to be doing something as creative as rings. I have done a 'retro' geometric one and a flowery one so far and this evening I have started 2 where I am embedding fine silver wire jumprings and balls into the pmc covering. I'm thinking I might try putting enamel inside the jumprings but the last enamelling I did was back at college - so I'm not sure about that. I just love experimenting...especially when it works and creates something wonderful!