Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your latest project?

working on bridal collections....
    E

Well today I decided to buy some Figaro Cain... then changed my mind and thought... why am I buying chain when I can make it (yeah, I know... insanity is rife in my family lol) so two hours into the project I have... some soldered links lol.

It's a good job I'm making this for me is all I can say!

However, I have improved my soldering technique so it's pretty brilliant so far.

... will keep you updated / show you the final result later... hopefully

Ooh, I've just made a fab etched anticlastic bangle. I haven't got a pic but will do one when I get back from my course at B'ham Jewellery School. I'm off on the train tomorrow morning for 5 days of playing - can't wait.

Lol i'm afraid i cant boast to be doing anything as creative as you guys because a) i dont have any sheet silver yet and b) i am just too new at this gamme, so instead i am making another freshwater pearl set, again using the silver balls inbetween. This time the pearl are pink so very girly :P

I am having a bit of a confidence crisis again, cos half of what everyone says goes straight over my head and i am beginning to wonder if i will ever be able to learn how to do it all and do it well. I know i have only done one term at college, but its not even a course that gives me any qualifications, but then i didnt want to put that pressure on myself either. I would love to spend some quality one on one time with people so that i might actually get to grips with stuff, i have a memory like a sieve which doesnt help, and have to write everything down. Oh i dont know.
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Don't give up Su. We all had to start somewhere. I did evening classes for about 3 years before I had the confidence to do anything at home.

Red face

Su - What sort of things are you hoping to learn? Make a little list of the things you want to start with and I'm sure anyone who knows here will be willing to go through it step by step, I will if I can help!

Smile Don't let it get you down...

Surely the important thing is that you are enjoying what you are doing and are interested in learning new things... so you have to eventually pick up new skills - albeit at your own pace. None of us have a hope of learning everything...but I know what you mean... reading some of the stuff on this forum makes you think 'why the hell am I bothering!'. But we shouldn't be comparing ourselves with other people who have been doing this stuff for years or we will never feel good about what we can do.
    I'm really writing the above to myself to try and get the fact into my own thick head...so don't worry Su - we all feel pretty inadequate to some degree or another!! Just don't let it spoil your enjoyment of what you are doing!
    Barbara

Su, this forum really is a double edged sword isn't it! On the one hand you have these experts with their stunningly beautiful pieces to inspire you and, on the other hand, those of us who aren't naturally confident, think 'oh bugger, I'll never manage that and think about giving it all up.

Just think back over things you've done in the past at which you've excelled - you didn't become brilliant straight away did you? It took time and effort but, most of all, it took enjoyment. And the better you got the more you enjoyed it. It will be the same with jewellery, I promise you. I am in very much the same league as you in terms of skill and experience but I guess I'm a fair bit older (55 yesterday) and what these extra years have given me, apart from middle aged spread, is the knowledge that if I really want to excel at something I can - provided I work at it.

I love this forum because its a mix of beginners, improvers, and experts and its very non-judgemental, very supportive, and wonderfully friendly. Su you are amongst friends and that, surely, is the best possible place to learn and improve?

One final point - just because you are feeling a tad down about that bloody slice of lemon, don't let that feeling of failure spread to everything else.

Auntie Di is now returning to her 'oh bloody hell, what have I gone and done now' status.
    Di x

Red face

Yeah, this forum seems to inspire enthusiasm and keenness to learn (and when we're not on here) get in to the workshop more than before! But it can also leave me feeling a little rubbish when I see some of the amazing work people can do! Especially with all the talk of science and technique that I can't seem to take in. Luckily I'm starting to get past that and get back to the keenness to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    Su, this forum really is a double edged sword isn't it! On the one hand you have these experts with their stunningly beautiful pieces to inspire you and, on the other hand, those of us who aren't naturally confident, think 'oh bugger, I'll never manage that and think about giving it all up.

Just think back over things you've done in the past at which you've excelled - you didn't become brilliant straight away did you? It took time and effort but, most of all, it took enjoyment. And the better you got the more you enjoyed it. It will be the same with jewellery, I promise you. I am in very much the same league as you in terms of skill and experience but I guess I'm a fair bit older (55 yesterday) and what these extra years have given me, apart from middle aged spread, is the knowledge that if I really want to excel at something I can - provided I work at it.

I love this forum because its a mix of beginners, improvers, and experts and its very non-judgemental, very supportive, and wonderfully friendly. Su you are amongst friends and that, surely, is the best possible place to learn and improve?

One final point - just because you are feeling a tad down about that bloody slice of lemon, don't let that feeling of failure spread to everything else.

Auntie Di is now returning to her 'oh bloody hell, what have I gone and done now' status.
    Lol Di, i guess i just feel a noob lol and as i have started this at 47 years old, i am kinda kicking myself for not starting earlier, when my eyes were better lol.
    Pete pressures me to sell anything i make and have stalls and stuff cos my hobby should pay its way, but i am scared stiff of anything like that, which he cant understand. He wants me to put stuff on ebay and such. I dont need that pressure to scceed on top of what i put on myself.

I knew i would be desperate to do stuff during the summer holidays, which was why i begged my tutor to show me the beading, plus its something i love, but i want to be able to fashion everything else too. I am my own worst enemy lol
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away