Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solder paste problems again!!!

Default Solder paste problems again!!!

i'm having a real problem with my solder paste, it just will not hold, it doesn't seem to be flowing properly and everthing i use it on falls apart!!! i've never had this problem before when using easy solder paste (this is the 1st time i've used medium )
    it's really stressing me out, any ideas???????? or have i just got a dodgy syringe of medium paste!!!
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk

Must admit that my easy solder paste is a bit hit and miss too. Brilliant when it works but really frustrating when nothing happens and it just goes into clump.

Fi

I use paste a lot (mainly because I'm incredibly lazy) and rarely have any problems. The only times it doesn't seem to work well is if my prep is poor and I've handled stuff too much, or if there is just a bit of a gap, which the paste sticks together before firing, thus disguising it.

Have you tried testing it on a bit of scrap sheet? Just plonk a bit down and fire it to see if it adheres? Is it new? If not, how has it been stored - it definitely doesn't like getting too warm.

it is new and i've tried using it on allsorts of pieces, i've never had any problems before when using easy paste.
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk

Hi Bridget
    How are you heating the piece? Are you heating the piece gently all the way around ( avoiding the paste) first? Sometimes if the piece isn't sufficiently hot the solder will refuse to flow and just stays in a clod where it was initially placed, this is the only thing I can think of that might be causing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Quinn View Post
    Hi Bridget
    How are you heating the piece? Are you heating the piece gently all the way around ( avoiding the paste) first? Sometimes if the piece isn't sufficiently hot the solder will refuse to flow and just stays in a clod where it was initially placed, this is the only thing I can think of that might be causing the problem.
    I think I've had something like this too. Usually I don't have a problem with paste (soooo lazy.....), but if I'm soldering onto a fine chain and trying to avoid the bottom of the ring with the torch I sometimes end up with a black blob of hard solder instead of a nice soldered joint
    J x

It could well just be a heat thing. That 50 degrees can make more difference than you realise. In my case, enough of a difference to just melt the whole thing.....

I think that sometimes i burn the solder paste, it turns black before melting.

I need to back off the heat more, and take more time in prep and the final soldering.

My water torch can be a bit fierce on the paste at times.

I do find rolling solder then cutting in to very small bits works better for me than paste at times. but i don't give up on the paste, try, try and try again! someday i might get it right every time.

Quote Originally Posted by WitchfordSilver View Post
    I think that sometimes i burn the solder paste, it turns black before melting.

I need to back off the heat more, and take more time in prep and the final soldering.

My water torch can be a bit fierce on the paste at times.

I do find rolling solder then cutting in to very small bits works better for me than paste at times. but i don't give up on the paste, try, try and try again! someday i might get it right every time.

What Witchford said
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    It could well just be a heat thing. That 50 degrees can make more difference than you realise. In my case, enough of a difference to just melt the whole thing.....
    Know the feeling lol!
    Sometimes I spend the whole day making scrap.......
    J x