View Poll Results: Which Book should I read next ?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • T.Mcreight Fundementals of Metalsmithing

14 58.33%
  • T MCreight Precious Metal Clay Techniques

4 16.67%
  • Other Book

6 25.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good book anyone ?

Smile Good book anyone ?

I've just finished a Jinks McGrath Book (Jewellery Making a complete course for beginners), - a really good read, good layout, easy to read and I liked the step by step processes. A good starting point for anybody new to making.

Has anybody got any recommendations for my next read... I work in silver, attended a short course, and can now follow basic instructions, but I am still learning.
    Are the books by Tim Mcrieght any good, or are there better ones out there ?
    Last edited by bead27; 25-06-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Default Good book

"Jewellery Making Techniques" - Elizabeth Olver

clear layout, nice clean designs, easy to follow instructions.

I like The Complete Book of Jewelry Making: A Full-color Introduction to the Jeweler's Art by Charles Codina.

If you've got a Borders bookshop near you they normally have pretty good jewellery sections. I've been known to spend hours sat cross-legged on their floor choosing books!

Default Enamelling Book - Beginners Guide

Just read a new title - Beginners Guide to Enamelling by d. cockrell.
    ONLY £8 - loved it. I've never really done an awful lot of cold enamelling - but this has inspired me to have a right good go. I'd stay away from the vitreous to start with - the cold technique seems much more realistic.

I have the Jinks McGrath and the Elizabeth Olver ones - both very good for a beginner.

I have The Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight. It's a useful bench reference with basic info on lots of things like metal properties, techniques, gemstone types, workshop set-up. I am planning to get his book on Hot & Cold Connections next

I also like the Lark Books series for inspiration eg 500 brooches, Masters Gemstones, 1000 Rings etc etc

I have both of the above books and think they are both great! However about 2 totally different subjects. I would say, regarding The Complete Metalsmith, whilst it is an excellent reference, it doesn't go into huge amounts of detail,probably because it covers so much, so if you run in to troubles with a technique it might not hold all of the answers you need. I agree with RedKite about the 500 series from Lark, great inspiration. I'd paricularly recommend The Jeweller's Directory of Decorative Finishes: From Enamelling and Engraving to Inlay and Granulation by Jinks McGrath if you are interested in surface techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by agent_44 View Post
    I have both of the above books and think they are both great! However about 2 totally different subjects. I would say, regarding The Complete Metalsmith, whilst it is an excellent reference, it doesn't go into huge amounts of detail,probably because it covers so much, so if you run in to troubles with a technique it might not hold all of the answers you need. I agree with RedKite about the 500 series from Lark, great inspiration. I'd paricularly recommend The Jeweller's Directory of Decorative Finishes: From Enamelling and Engraving to Inlay and Granulation by Jinks McGrath if you are interested in surface techniques.
    yeah, the complete metalsmith by tim mccreight, it is a book everyone should own. jinks mcgrath and tim mccreight, you'll find pretty much anything by those two useful but after you get enough books you'll start getting tons of duplicate info.

Oooh if you reads Tims "metal clay" book you might get hooked
    (there you have been warned, lol)
    nicola x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Smile

The Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight Is fab! and his hot and cold connections books is great too, perfect for me while i cant solder when i have applied my resin to the silver.
    I just love his writing style, makes me giggle and its extremely helpful

Im hoping to do some book shopping this week too, will pop back and let you know what i buy
    yippieee

Hannah
    HannahMary Jewellery
    Website

Please make sure to check out your local library too! i never really thought to because i thought jewellery and silversmithing would be a bit too specific, but i had a search on their computers and they had LOADS of books, and you can photocopy the occasional page for yourself too.

other books as well, architectural books for form ideas, books on tiling for mosaics, you can get an idea out of anything sometimes!