View Poll Results: Which Book should I read next ?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • T.Mcreight Fundementals of Metalsmithing

    14 58.33%
  • T MCreight Precious Metal Clay Techniques

    4 16.67%
  • Other Book

    6 25.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Good book anyone ?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    norfolk
    Posts
    11

    Default

    This reference book is great and usually on substantial discount on amazon.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    norfolk
    Posts
    11

    Default

    aah, quick reply newby, I meant the Oppi Untracht! It's referred to as the bible in our house.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I have all the above mentioned books and in a way agree with Dano that stuff is duplicated, because they all cover the basics, but what I have found is that although they go over the basics, each of them have different ways of doing things and often you can have an aha moment when reading the basics of yet another book, because there is something that you didn't find in the others. I am always learning, and I often go back and read up on a technique and go to each of these books on the particular technique until I am really sure I have figured out how I am going to do it. Sometimes, I like Jinks' way, and sometimes I like Tim McCreight, depends, but I love each of these books for different things.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    3,172

    Default

    I've probably got most of the good books but the one I'd thoroughly recommend is this one Amazon.com: Jewelry Techniques: The Essential Guide to Choosing…

    It's the most amazing book and covers just about everything you need to know.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I've probably got most of the good books but the one I'd thoroughly recommend is this one Amazon.com: Jewelry Techniques: The Essential Guide to Choosing…

    It's the most amazing book and covers just about everything you need to know.
    Thats the American version - I've got the UK version called the Jewellery Materials Sourcebook which I think is currently on offer on Amazon.co.uk

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Co Armagh N.Ireland
    Posts
    43

    Default

    The Workbench Guide to Jewelry Techniques by Anastasia Young
    Covers all the basics but also more advanced techniques which at the moment are asirational for me. Good photographs and clear language.
    If you are a visual learner better to go to Andrew Berry's site.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    3,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myosotis View Post
    Thats the American version - I've got the UK version called the Jewellery Materials Sourcebook which I think is currently on offer on Amazon.co.uk
    Oh yes, sorry, I didn't realise I'd got the wrong book. Oh, actually, I think we're talking about two different books. The Sourcebook is good but not as good as the one I recommended. It's not American. Anastasia Young is British.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Oh yes, sorry, I didn't realise I'd got the wrong book. Oh, actually, I think we're talking about two different books. The Sourcebook is good but not as good as the one I recommended. It's not American. Anastasia Young is British.
    Its the same book. I've checked my Jewellery Materials Sourcebook against the Jewelry Techniques book you linked to on Amazon.com and the only difference in the pages is on page 244 and 245 of yours it has US suppliers and on mine is has UK suppliers. It was re-titled for the American market. Sorry to be pedantic but that's just me. I know Anastasia Young is British, she teaches at Central St Martin's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jewelry techniques - anastasia young.jpg   Jewellery materials sourcebook.jpg  

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    3,172

    Default

    So sorry, it's The Workbench Guide to Jewelry Techniques. It's the best laid out and most informative book I've got. Even better than Oppi Ontracht or Jinks McGrath or even Tim McCreight, in my opinion. And, it's British.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    So sorry, it's The Workbench Guide to Jewelry Techniques. It's the best laid out and most informative book I've got. Even better than Oppi Ontracht or Jinks McGrath or even Tim McCreight, in my opinion. And, it's British.
    Yeah thats a really good book as well

Similar Threads

  1. My Book Of The Year.
    By Dennis in forum Tutorials, Bench Tips and Step By Steps
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 01:28 PM
  2. What book would you recommend for......
    By Gayle in forum Need Help? Ask the Experts!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 06:44 PM
  3. The NEW Cook Book
    By apike in forum Latest Cooksongold E-mails
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 10:57 AM
  4. Marketing book feedback please
    By Petal in forum Business Ideas
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20-09-2009, 12:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •