View Poll Results: Which Book should I read next ?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • T.Mcreight Fundementals of Metalsmithing

14 58.33%
  • T MCreight Precious Metal Clay Techniques

4 16.67%
  • Other Book

6 25.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good book anyone ?

I've got 'Tips and Shortcuts for jewllery making' out of the library and will be working through all the projects inmy spare time over the next few months. It's by Stephen O'Keefe and I think it's really good. Covers a lof of ground by taking you through tons of different projects. I know what my friends and family are getting for christmas this year - lots of my experiments from this book.

I've also ordered the Elizabeth Olver book people mention above as I've heard it's good.
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

I agree with Dano, that it's good to look outside of jewellery books for inspiration. I've enjoyed boks on quilting and stained glass, plus a great book on the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, which have given me loads of ideas for shapes and enamelling projects!

I could (and frequently do!) spend a fortune on books!!

Default Books

Love the Tim McCreight books and for metal clay I would recommend you look for a book called Structural Metal Clay by Kate McKinnon

Oppi Untracht's 'Jewellery Concepts and Technology' is a mind blowing book and contains instructions for pretty much every single thing you'd want to do with metal - maybe not the first book you'd need to buy, but definitely worth the investment. I use it regularly, and always refer to it when preparing lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    Oppi Untracht's 'Jewellery Concepts and Technology' is a mind blowing book and contains instructions for pretty much every single thing you'd want to do with metal - maybe not the first book you'd need to buy, but definitely worth the investment. I use it regularly, and always refer to it when preparing lessons.
    I've had my eye on this book for a while, I think it will have to be my next book purchase!

I answer all my queries online!! Would be lost without my laptop:p

Complete metalsmith is a bible that will last you your whole career, but it is more reference rather than project based.
    I like Jewellery by Madeline Coles, a two in one manual.
    Emma

have to agree with you milomade 'Tips and Shortcuts for jewllery making' is one of my favorite books that i go back to time & time again .. i have made a few things from the book (ring - on my profile album )

I'm abaout to tackle the rings in the books. Been too busy with my earrings of late, but this week I'm going to make some rings and see how I get on. The first ring I ever made, I sized it correctly for my finger and then once completed I decided on a textured finish and hammered it a bit too much and it's quite loose, so I need an new one methinks....
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

Same, the Jink's McGrath Jewellery Making for Beginners is brilliant. A must have for your book collection I would say. Most of my other books are insprational rather than technical and are really handy now I've learnt some basic techniques. I would recommend: Adorn by Amanda Mansell, Fabulous Jewellery from Found Objects by Marthe Le Van, The Jewellery Materials Sourcebook by Anastasia Young and The Jewellers Directory of Decorative Finishes by Jinks McGrath.

Anna