Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bead Caps

Default Bead Caps

I would like to make simple bead caps for some quite large beads.

Is the best way to cut small circles of thinnish sheet then shape them and drill holes in them?
    If so, what thickness of sheet is recommended?

I make a lot of beadcaps!

I use a disc cutter and doming block for shaping, and a screw down punch for the holes.

As for she sheet, it varies. For my smallest, I go as thin as 0.2mm, up to 0.5mm for big or textured ones. The ones I make most of tend to be 0.3 or 0.4mm. I anneal before cutting, and tumble the finished caps. If you drill the holes, rather than using a screw down or cutting centre punch, make sure you debur the holes carefully, they can be very sharp otherwise.

Always dome very gradually, I've found over time that they need to be far less curved than you might think, especially for larger beads.

Wow, excellent, thank you for the great advice, again I bought some lovely 18mm lampwork beads which I want to make in to a nice necklace so I think hand made bead caps will go very nicely...

Ive been waiting for an good excuse to buy a disc cutter, so now I have one!

I've often wondered if a disc cutter would sort of buckle the thinner sheet? Have you used it with fine silver George? If so what sort of range of sizes and thicknesses would you use with it? I could be tempted to add a disc cutter to my shopping list too!!

Thanks for asking the question Trudy!! ....Reads with interest.... OOh - one day I'd like to have a go at making my own beadcaps. I've been silently appreciating your beadcaps from afar G, so am pleased you make your own, cos they're really lovely..

um I think I shall end up posting an enormous list on this site one day with the question ... What tools have I missed from my ever growing shopping list ?

xx
    Jules

Thinner sheet is harder to work with, but perfectly possible, especially with the smaller sizes of disc. I don't cut fine silver though B. I think it's just too soft, and would worry about it getting stuck in the tube. There again, I don't use fine silver sheet for anything except bezels, so I'm not being that helpful (sorry!).

George, what is a screw down punch? Sounds interesting. I'm off to look at your end caps now.
    Linda

No, that's not true, George!! Any info is a great help!! I am playing around a bit more with Argentium now....so I will have options for stronger silver sheet than just fine silver too. I expect it will be a long process getting proficient using it but I am always up for a challenge!

Argentium sheet works fine with a disc cutter Barbara. That I can be helpful on!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindyloo View Post
    George, what is a screw down punch? Sounds interesting.
    I have been wondering this and trying to find one too