Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It just doesn't hang right!

Angry It just doesn't hang right!

Morning all

Yesterday, I spent 3 hours, yes 3 hours, on trying to make a 'not quite right' necklace work. It started out as three large oval beads at the bottom and then went to one which was then suspended with a bit of wire wrapping! and then when I'd re-strung it for the nth time, the two beads either side, just didn't hang properly. This was a long necklace with a large heavy bead. Then I put some long tube beads in their place (to make a A 'Y' shaped hanging) to see if that would make a difference. It was at that time that I finally gave up. I took a piccie of it before I took it apart and have now started on a different one that is working well and am having a good day, so far.

It was almost one of those 'that's it, I've had enough of this sh!t, I'm not doing this anymore, I'm going to go out there and get myself a real job' moan .... then had a cup of tea, did some gardening and came back and thought, lets have a go at those Jade beads I've had my eye on and felt much better

Is it because I'm using a too large bead at the centre, or should I be using a proper 'Y' shaped connector thing to hang my big beads from?

Pleeease

Lotsaluv

Jules

where's the pic, Jules?
    Di x

Oh Di, I was hoping you weren't going to ask me to show a piccie !

Here it is...

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/alb...&pictureid=272

The two oblong beads either side of the large bead are the ones that don't sit properly. I put the Y bit in after I'd tried it with the beads closer to the downward bead. The pic shows a different downward bead without wrapping, as I was trying all sorts of things out to make the !!! thing work..

I've got to go and feed the cats - back in a min.

Love
    Jules x

What thread/wire are you using? Could that be the problem - sometimes something like tigertail is too rigid
    Di x

Thanks for replying Di,

Ah ha, now that's interesting, because I'd used .018 diam 49 strand beadalon for the necklace, because the bead was so heavy... perhaps I should have used my .15 diam instead? What would you have used to hang the beads on then??

Jx

It is because the weight of the central bead makes them pull down?
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Thanks for replying Di,

Ah ha, now that's interesting, because I'd used .018 diam 49 strand beadalon for the necklace, because the bead was so heavy... perhaps I should have used my .15 diam instead? What would you have used to hang the beads on then??

Jx
    I think I would try the finer one. I have found in the past that the 'bigger' stringing makes things hang funny. I think its because the thickness makes it more rigid.
    Di x

I'll try out both of those and let you know how I get on later on today....

So I'll use more of the heavier beads in the design, rather than just one central bead - to balance it out and also try the design with smaller diam wire!

Thanks ladies!

Jules x

Hi Jules...I'm still not quite sure what your problem is as it looks ok to me in the picture. Does it look too rigid when it is on or does it draw down to a point with the weight of the bead, or is it the aesthetics in general?

... So, writing from a position of total ignorance I have 2 suggetions...(feel free to tell me what I can do with them!!) Could you use or design a wider bail so that the big bead is suspended from a rather wider base? Or how about a shorter connection between the main necklace and the big bead, so that there is not quite so much of a contrast between the point of connection and the width of the suspended bead? This could give the whole design a bit more of a flow.

I'm afraid I'm not a great deal of help as I know very little about threading materials...I've not ventured down that road yet!!

I can't see from the picture, but I think the problem is that you've used a headpin and wrap to attach the large stone, rather than a Y string. I can see why you've added the tubes, but they've ended up making it look a bit leggy rather than pulling the elements together.

Just a thought, but you might like to try starting with two lengths of beading thread, crimp them together at one end and add a crimp cover to disguise the whole thing. Or (if you have the right pliers) I tend to use a couple of 'magic' crimps at the very end to allow me to trim the wire absolutely flush. Then start threading - a couple of spacers, your large stone, another spacer, then split the wires and add a couple of small spacers to each side of the Y before adding the larger beads. You can play around with the numbers and sizes of spacers depending on your design, but it's worth keeping them fairly small at the actual split. This can give a much more natural shape to the whole thing, and avoids asking the beading wire to bend in the middle to hold the drape of a heavy focal.

This isn't the best example, but the only one I could find that I've got a picture of to hand!

This approach also lets you use your heavier (and stronger) beading wire.