Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memory wire

Default Memory wire

Hi folks - sorry for adding this a while after original post. I really love memory wire and it makes great bracelets. Have tried using the necklace memory wire but only had limited success. I do jewellery parties and the memory wire are amongst my most popular pieces, they always sell well. I've even got my OH making memory wire bracelets now - he does a really great job

Being made from tempered steel it is really difficult to work with. You do need heavy duty cutters - the memory wire cutters a quite expensive, so I use a pair of heavy duty cutters bought from the market £2.99 and they work really well. I've tried gluing beads to the end of the wire but they just kept falling off. I now loop the ends of the memory wire with a pair of old round nose plies - it does take some doing though. You can make is easier by holding the end of the wire in a candle flame for a few seconds until the metal glows. Then dunk it in water and it definitely helps to loop the end. You need to be careful that you don't burn your fingers, or any beads if doing this at the other end, once all your beads are in place.

Bev

Quote Originally Posted by justlulu View Post
    Hi Jules, I have to admit I'm not a fan of memory wire. I struggle with it and when I glue end caps on they just seem to fall off! Also if your beads are too heavy the whole thing sags and just doesn't look right. Good luck with yours and let me know how you get on!!!

xxx justlulu
    i found this when i used memory wire, you can loop the ends .. i'm not a fan

I've had some bracelet memory wire in amongst my 'stuff' for a couple of years. After my first attempt I gave it up as a bad job.
    Di x

Last edited by ben b; 13-09-2009 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ben b View Post
    I did have some memory wire a while ago.....but I forgot where I put it.
    The old ones are always the best!
    Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by ben b View Post
    I did have some memory wire a while ago.....but I forgot where I put it.

LOL!

I have memeory wire in my stash too, that I coulght ages ago when I first started making jewellery, but I guess it's not really my 'thing' now although I love the concept and idea of it, and wont get rid of it because you never know what ideas I might have in the future...
    Last edited by agent_44; 24-08-2009 at 10:38 PM.

I quite like memory wire. Just made a couple of bracelets and glued end beads on using the stuff cooksons sell - careful though v fiddly and did end up gluing my fingers together! but seems to be holding