Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling mills again

Default Rolling mills again

I've got a Durston mini mill which works really well but now that I'm using it loads for the aluminium bangles, is causing me to have back problems. If I upgraded to a more expensive model, would it be easier to turn the handle?
    Which model would people recommend?

Sorry I can't recommend a different mill as I have the same one, I did an evening class and they had a sooper dooper electric one and everything just whizzed through it with absolutely no effort at all ( I didn't use it very much though because it was pitted and rusty !! )

My cheapest alternative is get a big strong fella to do your handle turning for you !!

Hope somebody else comes along and is able to give you some proper advice !!

Lisa x

The mini-mill isn't geared is it?

I've tried several, and even a basic 4:1 gearing system makes a huge difference. It's one of the reasons I went for my cheap and basic mill, as I couldn't afford the model of Durston I wanted.

I don't know why (as I use plenty of other powered tools) but an electric one feels a bit like cheating somehow!

Default Geared is better but you can reduce the effort

Mine durston is ancient and geared 4:1 but I have used direct geared mills in the past.

If you only reduce the thickness by a small amount on each pass through it will be easier than trying to do the whole thing in one go.

Aluminium also work-hardens when cold rolled, so if you are trying to reduce the thickness a lot, make sure you anneal it frequently, the recrystallisation will make the metal 'softer'.

Finally if you are reducing the thickness in multiple passes, make sure that the same end goes through first each time.

Smile

Hmmmm interesting, I shall have to remember this when I'm able to afford a nice little rolling mill.

I'm not trying to reduce the aluminium but just to texture it. Even so, it needs a lot of pressure. I've looked at the more expensive ones on Cookies and they don't seem to mention the gears.

the DRM100 and upwards are geared. It's in the description on the cookson site - have a look at item 999 axx for example

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwol View Post
    Mine durston is ancient and geared 4:1 but I have used direct geared mills in the past.

If you only reduce the thickness by a small amount on each pass through it will be easier than trying to do the whole thing in one go.

Aluminium also work-hardens when cold rolled, so if you are trying to reduce the thickness a lot, make sure you anneal it frequently, the recrystallisation will make the metal 'softer'.

Finally if you are reducing the thickness in multiple passes, make sure that the same end goes through first each time.
    Hi BigWol
    I am looking to getting a rolling mill and the ones on the Cookson site seemed to be direct geared. What is the difference and is there a size mill you would recommend. I dont want a huge huge one as I am still an amateur!!
    Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Regards Christine

Christine, if you just want something to start out with, the economy mill 999 AXWA is 3:1 geared. I have a similar machine (though with a 4:1 gearing) as I needed to get one at a time I couldn't afford a Durston, and I'm completely happy with it. If I can ever afford to, I'm sure I'd upgrade it, but I certainly don't need to, and there are lots of other toys to buy first

Default Checked gears it's 3.3 to 1

Hi

I took mine to bits to count the teeth on the gears

The handle and layshaft gears are 13 teeth

The Roller gear is 43 teeth

= 3.307692308 to 1

So 3:1 is fine

Dave