Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I used to go to Petticoat lane market in my lunch-hour. Fantastic and the characters you saw were unforgettable!
    So did I when I had a real job (before lecturing) and worked in the City!
    I still get withdrawal symptoms if I venture up that way during the week! (Sad or what!!!)
    Lorraine

I was a cockney born boy, but I don't think I don't remember Petticoat Lane much from then (although I have been a few times in recent years) - I do however, remember Brick Lane which is where I was taken a lot. And when we go down to London now, we try to get over there to buy some of the best baegels (you cannot get proper baegels in Nottingham...), I know, it's sad!

I have many fond memories of the City. I was 17, it was my first job and I loved it (commutted up from Essex on the train) and we used to go to the pub every lunchtime - at Xmas we'd all go on a massive pub crawl with the Managers would get also pissed and be a right laugh (they were a real stuck up lot usually) - the music was fab too. I also remember that anyone who was getting married would be decorated with a huge paper hat thing and some trailing cans.. odd but true!

Good grief, we have gone off topic, haven't we!
    Jules

Stottie cakes, black pudding, first footing, mills, pit ponies, Northumbrian coast, pubs. Sorry, it was getting a bit too southern in here.
    I'll keep the whippets and flat caps for emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by pauljoels View Post
    I was a cockney born boy, but I don't think I don't remember Petticoat Lane much from then (although I have been a few times in recent years) - I do however, remember Brick Lane which is where I was taken a lot. And when we go down to London now, we try to get over there to buy some of the best baegels (you cannot get proper baegels in Nottingham...), I know, it's sad!
    No. It. Is. Not. Sad. Bagels bought in the supermaket just aren't like those from Kossoffs or the Bagel Shop. Anyway, I preferred Platzels

I lived just off Brick Lane, a place called Woodseer Street, in an old tenement block building known as Pelham Buildings. The Truemans tower, err, towered over everything and we all played in the central square that we called the Airey.

Actually, depending on your age, we might have been childhood friends!
    Di x

I know all those places, but probably not from your days Di - I'm probably a little too young (no offence intended!) it's down to my dads side of the family that we went there when I was a child as they were Indian Jews who moved to London in the 50's I think (mother was Irish Catholic to cause confusion!). But then I moved to Manchester when I was 6, so I think I qualify as a northerner too...
    Last edited by pauljoels; 09-10-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lesley View Post
    Stottie cakes, black pudding, first footing, mills, pit ponies, Northumbrian coast, pubs. Sorry, it was getting a bit too southern in here.
    Funny that, cos although I was born in the south, we do have connections to the north (my parents were from 'up north'). We went to see some outlaws recently in Grimsby and eee by gum it was like travelling back in time, to my Nan's place where she used to give us tea with bicarbonate of soda in and for lunch we'd have a big flat round yorkshire pudding and gravy and then a roast beef dinner by 'eck.
    Last edited by Petal; 09-10-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Jules

Tee hee, none taken Paul. I was born in 1954 and left the East End in 1964 with the London overspill. My grandparents couldn't be moved and had to eventually be thrown out of Pelham Bldgs. They were rehoused in a modern, souless but bed-bug free place in Mile End.

My grandad was a bespoke tailor and would sit cross legged on his work-room table sewing fine seams while I played with the buttons in the button box. Seen in sepia tones it was wonderful but the reality was a little more stark than that
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by lesley View Post
    I used to imagine I came from Northumberland cos thats where my favourite books (about ballet dancers) were set. The north seemed so romantic.
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    I used to imagine I came from Northumberland cos thats where my favourite books (about ballet dancers) were set. The north seemed so romantic.
    Seemed? I believe some of the most romantic and picturesque places are in the north. I used to love showing off the north to my Londoner friends who thought nothing but coal mines existed above the Watford Gap! Particularly the Lakes...and I can't wait to go there again just before this Xmas.