Thread: Spinner ring problem

Default Spinner ring problem

A couple of years ago I made this ring. One spinner in a standard doming punch ended main ring. The owner is worried the spinner will come off the main ring and wants me to expand the ends a bit more. I really can’t see the spinner escaping in any way but she is insistent. Advice please….always mindful that splits could occur any ideas on local annealing either end or any other tricks? ….other than saying no, too much of a risk and probably loosing a “client”? Suppose I could measure size carefully and make another!
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First decide on your priorities.

If you don't wish to loose the client, explain that you will have a go, but if a split appears, you will provide a new base at your or her expense.

As you wont have to do much of this in your lifetime, I would opt for 'at your expense', and put on a big smile. The cost of goodwill. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis as ever with your advice. In fact earlier to day I took the bull by the horns and……..did it……successfully!
    I did email her and explained the risks beforehand.
    I heated the main ring up from the inside as much as I could dare and tapped away with the doming punch, many many times with heating (hardly annealing temperature) between the series of taps. There has definitely been an increase in diameter and I can’t see there is any chance at all of the worry rings getting off. Didn’t really think there was any chance in the first place! Now all polished up it looks “the dogs”!
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, there you are. Someone could say 'all worried for nothing', but you will be much better prepared when it crops up again.