Thread: Stone security in a claw setting

Default Stone security in a claw setting

I found a beautiful Amethyst and decided to claw mount it as a pedant. As I am only just venturing into making claw mounts I took the safe way out for this stone and bought a ready made 6 claw from “ ErikasDelights” in America through Etsy. With all Etsy’s extras a shocking price!…..but beautifully made and polished. I offered the stone up to it and it appeared to be a very good tight match. Using a “sticky pencil”, I gave it a very firm push and lo and behold was rewarded with a very positive click as the stone was “gripped by the 6 notched claws. I can’t get any wobble or movement at all. In your opinion do you think this could be safe? I know this is a very fundamental question but I am now breaking out of simple settings bezels etc and this is new ground.
    David . Ruedeleglise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Key things with claw tend to be is it low enough in the setting (claws can be opened out fractionally), is the notch adequately relieved to avoid putting pressure on the girdle, are the prongs flush against the facets and are they long enough (but not over-long) and not catching on anything?

Snagged prongs will open up & lose the stone...

Thanks for the warnings / advice. I have in fact now signed up for a one to one with a jewellery school run by two terrific jewellers to learn how to make claw settings, so will now get hands on advice and guidance. Recon this is a fairly big step in the learning curve. Continually doing bezel, gypsy, tube settings was getting a bit monotonous!
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk