Thread: will 9ct gold stretch as much as sterling when I hammer it?

Default will 9ct gold stretch as much as sterling when I hammer it?

I have made and sold a lot of textured silver rings I have named 'well hammered' (see pic). I have to start them 5 sizes smaller as they stretch so much when I hammer them on a tapered ring mandrel. My daughter now wants me to make her wedding ring with my well hammered technique, which just means hammering the entire surface of the ring with a ball pein hammer.
    Because she wants it made in gold I need to know what size to start it off at, to arrive at her required UK size P.
    Can anyone advise me on this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211010_142809.jpg  

Have you used 9ct much yet? It work hardens much more quickly than silver, so if you want to stretch it 5 sizes then you're in for a fair amount of annealing.
    I probably wouldn't do more than 2 sizes, but it'll depend on how much whacking it gets.
    If you've got access to a ring stretcher you could hammer it, fully anneal then stretch it to final size?

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Have you used 9ct much yet? It work hardens much more quickly than silver, so if you want to stretch it 5 sizes then you're in for a fair amount of annealing.
    I probably wouldn't do more than 2 sizes, but it'll depend on how much whacking it gets.
    If you've got access to a ring stretcher you could hammer it, fully anneal then stretch it to final size?
    Many thanks for the rapid response Peter. I haven't worked with gold for decades and don't have access to a ring stretcher. I start my silver rings with 1.2mm sheet so when 'well hammered' on the tapered mandrel it ends up as 1 mm thick. Daughter wanted 9 ct so I've bought D shaped wire 2.3 x 2mm. From what you're saying I should just make it 2 sizes smaller and hammer that up to P, maybe annealing once along the way. Does that seem about right?

All you have to do is try it with a strip of copper first, which will have similar properties. You have the advantage of stopping when the size is right, or going on if not.
    Dennis.

Thanks Dennis. Not sure where I'll get a strip of copper 2.3 x 2 mm so I'm just going to try with the gold strip I have. Will post how it works out (or not!)

No problem. Made it 4 sizes smaller then hammered with 1 oz ball pein - took it up to size P. No problem. Didn't seem to need to anneal.
    Thanks again for feedback

Thank you for your feedback. Best wishes to your daughter. Dennis.