Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Maun parallel pliers

Default Advice on Maun parallel pliers

I just bought some Maun parallel pliers 4871-140, smooth, flat nosed ones. I'm a bit disappointed for the price, they don't feel like £30+ tool. The end of the jaws don't line up and they aren't quite parallel. Also, they feel like they grind a bit at the hinge - they don't feel smooth when you squeeze them, there's some slight pitting on the casting of the jaws. The spring seems very strong and pulls them further apart than I can comfortably reach.

I've been in touch with Maun and they have said the misalignment is because the spring is pulling that side and they could adjust them for me. They also say the are designed to not quite be parallel to maintain grip at the end.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether they look acceptable?

Are the non branded ones terrible?

Thanks

I recently bought two pairs of Maun pliers and I find them fantastic compared to the cheap unbranded varieties i’ve had for awhile that are now pretty much useless as they misalign and are very sloppy. I think the Jaws should pull parallel under pressure but I would not be happy about the jaw length not aligning. For me they would be returned as rejects and I would expect a replacement. servicing a band new tool is not acceptable in my opinion … N

Thanks. Do yours have the pitting on the casting and feel like they grind at the hinge when you squeeze them?

Mine aren’t a spring loaded variety, they were a little stiff to start with but nothing that a squirt of WD-40 didn’t sort. The jaws have a perfectly ground finished with no pitting. Where did you purchase them from?

No, I agree with Nick. Neither the unequal length, not the pitting are acceptable

They look as if you have been fobbed off, so return them for refund.

Then buy them from a reputable supplier. Dennis

Thanks for the input, reassuring to know I'm not being excessively fussy.

I bought them direct from Maun!

I’m really fussy about new tools, especially when supposedly buying top of the range. I would definitely return them and ask for replacements … N

They look like knock offs to me, did you get them from Maun, Maun jaws are machined not cast.

Here's a pair that's probably over 10 years old, also sprung. Also Maun, not a knock-off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20240312_102825936.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	13581

They don't see masses of use as I find the spring a bit of a pest most of the time - it also makes the action feel a little graunchy to me.
    However... As they're parallel pliers, the jaws are, well, parallel.

Thanks for input all. I'll send them back. Just not sure whether to get a replacement, I can't see how they wouldn't be genuine coming direct from Maun unless someone did a switcheroo and returned a knock off pair, but you would think they would notice before sending them out to someone else.

Here's a couple more pictures