Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Making earwires/hooks

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    I also have a pair of these from Cooksons - they're not as consistently round as my Bead Smith ones, but they get used a lot too - they compliment the others as they're different sizes:

Multi-sized Looping Pliers - Cooksongold.com
    Wow, never seen pliers like that - I may have to invest in some.

My shopping list keeps getting longer.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Luckily I was given some birthday money at the beginning of this year and that was one of the I used them on. I use them for jump rings (when you just need a few) and making things like these cord ends - much, much easier than trying to work with tapered round pliers:

necklace6053f on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Default Wire jig going spare?

I know it's a bit late as this thread is about a month old - but if anyone has a jig they don't use going spare, I might be interested! Have been considering buying one for a while, and am willing to pay a reasonable price to give it a shot. PM me if you have one gathering dust and I'll take it off your hands!

I don't know if you mean the ez earwire jig thing that specifically makes earwires - but if you just want the normal kind of wire jig Cooksons are doing the deluxe version for a tenner - Deluxe Thing-a-ma-jig - Cooksongold.com
    The basic version is pretty reasonably priced as well but I don't think it offers so much scope.

Default thing ma jig

Hi just been reading bout the thingma jig, I got the very basic one, which I found to be horrible to use, so it's laying on the top shelf of my work station. I can't complain tho, coz it was very cheap, so maybe the more expensive one will work better. Anyway good luck in whichever way you decide.
    Love and light,
    Maggie[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    Hi just been reading bout the thingma jig, I got the very basic one, which I found to be horrible to use, so it's laying on the top shelf of my work station. I can't complain tho, coz it was very cheap, so maybe the more expensive one will work better. Anyway good luck in whichever way you decide.
    I bought the basic one too and I couldn't work with it at first, then saw a tutorial on YouTube that mentioned you move the jig and not the wire. That did make a difference. However, since then I've bought some of those magical pliers that everyone else has mentioned above and they are FAB I use them all the time.

xx
    Jules

Hi,

Earring hooks are easy to make. Use 0.8mm or .7mm hard silver wire and use a small rod or pencil to bend the wire to avoid marks.

What to to:
    First cut each wire 5cm long and file both ends
    make a little circle using the round nose pliers on one end of the wire
    use either a round nose or rod to bend the wire and make the hoop shape.
    use the flat nose to turn out the bottom.

In my book, The Encyclopedia of Contemporary Jewellery Making Techniques, I demonstrate how to make them using this method.

All the best,
    Vannetta
    Jewellery Tutor at Central St. Martins College of Art and Design
    Vannetta Seecharran School of Jewellery