Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Making earwires/hooks

I just ordered one of those jig things as I want to make a load of figure of 8 or s shape loops and think that'll speed up the process for me.
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

Hi Milo - I loved your button earings and you're right about hand made ear wires being better. I have a stock of premade ones that I'm using up now and then I'll go back to making my own. My bigest problem is filing the end but I've got a set of mini files now so they should help.

Let me know how you get on with the jig as I've been thinking of getting one myself.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Snow Imp - Milomade hasn't posted for a while, so I thought I'd jump in and give you my view on said jig.

I hated it - it sits unloved and uncared for on my shelf. I find it much easier to use knitting needles for mandrels and make my curves that way.
    Di x

I spent a load of money on a jig and never use it, hate the thing! FOund it hard to maipulate the wire, as the jog woudl get in the way. I shall shortly be listing it on eBay or etsy as part of a big supplies and tools declutter!

You can use anything for a mandrel aslong as it's the right shape like as Di says, knitting needls, I quite often use pens and other things like that.
    Lucinda

been nusy with web work and not been doing much jewellery for the past month or so - hence my absence. Still incredibly busy, but going to have to get back into jewellery as my evening classes start a week today - yikes!

I got the jig eventually - weeks and weeks after I'd ordered it as they didn't have any stock at the time. To be honest I've not used it yet - don't think the instructions are very good - they don't explain what all the components are and how to use them so will be looking online for more info soon. I get the idea that you put the little metal posts into the holes, but what are all the little plastic tube bits for???

Will let you know how I get on once I start using it.
    Website | Instagram

The tubes fit over the pegs, some tubes with large holes fit over smallert tubes, so you can make larger circles to wrap your wire around.
    Lucinda

the reason I bought it was to make figure of eight loops quickly and easily as making these individually by hand using pliers takes time and also marks the wire - I want to be able to set up the jig so that I can wind wire round the metal posts and form about 5 at a time and then cut the wire with my flush cutter and be done with it - no marking from the pliers and lots made quickly.

Whether it works out or not, I've yet to find out, but I'm not feeling very positive now that I've heard two of you moan about the device.
    Website | Instagram

Reading this thread reminded me of a website I put in my bookmarks months ago. I haven't really looked at it since, but I know I was quite impressed at the time as it gave loads of detailed instructions of working with wire and jigs. Just thought you might be interested...it says there are about 2,000 pages of instructions... so be prepared!!
    WigJig University - Free Jewelry Making Designs using Beads and Wire

Quote Originally Posted by agent_44 View Post
    I spent a load of money on a jig and never use it, hate the thing! FOund it hard to maipulate the wire, as the jog woudl get in the way. I shall shortly be listing it on eBay or etsy as part of a big supplies and tools declutter!

You can use anything for a mandrel aslong as it's the right shape like as Di says, knitting needls, I quite often use pens and other things like that.
    Ebay has a free listing day on the 13th Sep
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

I bought a mini versio of the jig a while ago and thought it was awful, until I realised (after watching a YouTube vid.) that you move the jig, not the wire. I've been doing a bit of wrapping lately and will go back to the jig, once I've sorted out a few paperwork thingies I've got outstanding. I think they would be good for repetitive links that you want to do....

Love your clouds BTW... absolutely lovely lovely lovely!

Let us know how you get on.

lotsaluv
    Julesx