Thread: Crucible preparation advice needed

Question Crucible preparation advice needed

Happy New Year everyone! I’ve been silversmithing as a hobby at home for just over a year now and I decided to have a go at doing a small sand cast. However I am being hindered at my first hurdle… For some reason my borax won’t glaze despite the crucible glowing hot. I’m starting to wonder if my borax is fake (although I’m sure it’s not because why?) 🤪😅 I am using two torches, one auto start, go system blow torch with max operating temp of 1600 and another small dremel hand torch.
    Any trouble shooting advice would be appreciated ❤️

I don't think the Dremel torch is going to help you much. What model is the GoSystem one? Boxing the crucible in with firebricks can help retain the heat.

As for fake borax - depends where you bought it. There's non-borax sold as a substitute for laundry use (EU ban on it) and that won't work, but the real stuff is readily available from jewellery/forging/chemical supply places.

I think your Borax may be suspect, I have never had to have a crucible (Clay) glowing hot to glaze it

Yes a lot of it online is borax substitute for domestic use.

If you just need a small amount, you can scrape a borax cone with a knife.

For a 100 g of powder go to https://atthebench.store/product/bor...x-powder-100g/

Cousins sell a kilo tub cheaply:https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/flux-powder-borax. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I don't think the Dremel torch is going to help you much. What model is the GoSystem one? Boxing the crucible in with firebricks can help retain the heat.

As for fake borax - depends where you bought it. There's non-borax sold as a substitute for laundry use (EU ban on it) and that won't work, but the real stuff is readily available from jewellery/forging/chemical supply places.
    Thanks so much for all your responses, I really appreciate it. I’ve been away so it’s taken me a while to get back on here. The torch is: Autostart Blow torch AT2071H.