Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durstan Agile C50

Default Durstan Agile C50

Sorry - I don't have link-posting privileges yet.

The Agile C50 looks like a good deal for an entry level rolling miil. I'd more or less decided to save money and try the Cookson blue rolling mill, but I've had my head turned by this. The flat area is sufficient for my needs, and I'm happy with the wire options.

I know the advice is always to try to get a Durstan/Pepe/similar, so this looks like my chance!

Am I missing something, or is this the bargain that I think it is?

Thanks for any advice.

The price that Durstan are currently offering it for, is a substantial saving, and Durston are one of the top brands.

50% off a new Durston is an absolute bargain and I would be very tempted. However the flat area of the rollers capacity being 20 x 2.5mm I’d find very limiting especially when wanting to cut some discs. I have the blue budget mill with seven rollers that I find perfectly adequate for my requirements, except for the maximum sheet thickness of about 3mm. I would love to upgrade to a Durston with the 5.5mm sheet capacities but cannot yet justify the expense for a couple of millimetres ability with sheet … Good luck with it … N

Thanks both. I just cannot decide, but it's a happy dilemma, I guess!

I've seen numerous posts here like yours, Nick, saying that the blue mill is absolutely fine. I'm also tempted by the seven rollers. On the other hand, it's my chance to buy a Durstan that will probably meet my needs for the foreseeable.

Basically, I'm working to a budget: I'm in the process of building a drawbench with L hinges and a boat winch. My hope is that with a half-price Durstan and a homemade drawbench, I can produce most of the silver I need from scrap, without spending a fortune.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

I like saving money by making all my own wire and if this is your priority and not reducing sheet then the Durston’s wire grooves have more capability starting at 7mm and would probably be a better option. With my blue budget mill I feel I have to be careful not to overexert it whereas using a robust Durston you should be rolling out the wire with ease … N

I don't think that one has gears does it?

You may find it hard work to use.

I have a slightly larger Durstan with gearing and it still gives me a bit of a workout at times. I should probably stop "one last pass" before annealing!

When is a bargain not a bargain? When it leads to a daily gnashing of teeth. Think why they have reduced the price. Obviously because it's not their best seller.

It's a Durston and that's a plus.
    It does not seem to have gears, but they are essential.
    It has lots of grooves. They are useful for reducing wires, especially if you start from a hammered ingot. But you only need half that many.
    If you need wires, you finish with draw plates for accuracy.

So the excessive number of grooves, leads to a sacrifice the flat area. A 20mm width is useless for many practical applications. Mine has 80mm, and is sometimes restrictive.

Conclusion: buy a cheaper brand with more versatility. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 30-12-2023 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks so much all. Your advice is invaluable and I really appreciate it. I'm going to go with the Cookson blue rolling mill and save my first Durstan for when I can afford something with more bells and whistles (or gears at least).

Happy New Year all, thanks again.

If you’re going to go with the economy blue rolling mill check what deal you’re getting. Various dealers supply it with different options some with seven interchangeable rollers others with five … N
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 31-12-2023 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks Nick. I think I'll go with either Cooksons or Maddisons, as both are reliable and have the seven rollers. Unless anyone knows of another retailer they'd recommend for this model? Thanks again.