Thread: Last make of the year.

Default Last make of the year.

It would be lovely to see the last piece of jewellery of the year from everyone.

This is mine, a moss agate in silver with bronze detailing. The stone was nothing special until I set it then it came into it's own. I struggled to keep the banding on the ring straight, the solder melting kept moving things. I'd set things up slightly differently for soldering next time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231222_052353_compress8.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	13569

It's distinctive though, and sets it apart from the plain ring it could have been.

Have a think about mica sheet. It is available online for very little money, comes in various thicknesses, and can be split thinner with a craft knife.
    It can be cut into a ring with a fine saw blade, and use as a spacer or a heat shield. It is clean, heat proof and non adhesive. when finished it can be picked off.

Nothing form me, a I'm no longer up to it. Just talk talk .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175549342...hoCEPoQAvD_BwE

Merry Xmas to all, hope all those pressies got finished in time. Fabulous looking ring Sheen, love the banding on the shank gives it a unique look … I finally had a go at stone setting although 12 in a chain was a bit fiddly. I’ve been wanting something a bit colourful for myself however a few people have said it’s rather feminine for me … I’m not at all bothered it’s just nice to have a bit of colour to wear. here’s link to the video if anyone would like to watch it … https://youtu.be/JJfEa5T0WF4 … Cheers Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 22-12-2023 at 10:43 AM.

Hi Nick, it looks great. I was particularly impressed by those figure of 8 type connectors. Such an elegant way to do it rather than trying to solder individual jump rings to the sides of your bezels which would have been much messier. I loved the combination of Amber and turquoise and your setting looked perfect. I hope you get much joy from wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It's distinctive though, and sets it apart from the plain ring it could have been.

Have a think about mica sheet. It is available online for very little money, comes in various thicknesses, and can be split thinner with a craft knife.
    It can be cut into a ring with a fine saw blade, and use as a spacer or a heat shield. It is clean, heat proof and non adhesive. when finished it can be picked off.

Nothing form me, a I'm no longer up to it. Just talk talk .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175549342...hoCEPoQAvD_BwE
    Denis you're a font of knowledge. What would we do without you? Shall investigate mica sorry to hear you are not making any more, but I hope you are proud of all the things you've made over the years.

Thanks Sheen, i’ve made a few twisted link chains before and had always thought they might be good for stone setting, finally got round to having ago. Cooksons bezel strip helps make life easy. Maybe not so good for complex rings like yours … Have a good one … N