Thread: Tube clasp construction

Question Tube clasp construction

Hi everyone,

I wish to fabricate my own copper and silver tube clasps, with a spring mechanism, so it clicks into place like this one https://www.cooksongold.com/Findings...prcode-NVF-211 The wire inside is .5mm thick.

Is there a particular type of wire I'll need to source, or do you knowledgeable people use something else instead??

thanks in advance
    Last edited by Petal; 16-11-2023 at 01:22 PM.
    Jules

I'm just bumping this back out there, but does anyone have any springy suggestions please?
    many thanks xx
    Jules

I’ve pinched springs out of redundant pens before … I’ve made do by making small springs out of stainless steel wire previously. A wire called piano wire is very strong and springy. Also how about musical instrument wire like guitar wire … need a friendly musician to advise you. Or how about a mini spring box set from Amazon. Also torsion springs can be quite tiny, maybe possible to cut up and modify. just be careful cutting this type of wire … Quality side cutters could be ruined. N
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 21-11-2023 at 04:36 PM.

Compression springs in stainless steel are relatively cheap to buy from dedicated spring companies, but a nightmare to choose from their extensive lists.

https://www.industrial-springs.com/p...hoCy9MQAvD_BwE

Dennis.

I'm confused! When you look at the tube half that has the 'spring' in, you only have a 'u' part of the spring showing through the hole in the middle of the tube clasp, with the ends which are flat! https://www.cooksongold.com/Findings...prcode-NVF-211 So surely it can't be a 'spring' inside, but a flat section, with a 'u' section in the middle and a flat section at the other end, or have I got this completely wrong in my muddled dyslexic brain of mine !!!

???
    Jules

Don't now much abut them Jules, but you need to get a cheap plated one online, and cut it open to see how it works.

I'll do that Dennis. I've ordered a selection of piano wire, copper round and square tube and will have a play. Once I'm happy with it, I'll promise to post pics. Thanks everyone.
    Jules