Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gauge of Back plates

Interesting. When you try it with the stone in, you might need to file and sand the front of the shank before soldering on the bezel cup, or the whole thing could be too google eyed and protruding.

It was all going so well. Got everything positioned and soldered down, the backplate oxidised, the main stone set. But coming to the three tube settings, I got the first stone in but now it's flipping in it's setting. It won't come out either. Any advice. I am using 3mm round smooth cabs. I was using round burs to cut the seat.

Well, small cabs are known to flip over under pressure, so you definitely need a flat ledge to support them.

Some suggestions:
    1.Try get the cab the right side up by manipulating it say with a matchstick, blunt cocktail stick or blunt bamboo skewer with a little beeswax melted onto the end. even BluTack might work.
    Then keeping the cab in place with a fingernail, lightly pinch the very edge of the tube with small round nosed pliers all the way round to tighten it.

2. If you prefer to get the stone out, because it is quite loose, it might come out with sticky tape. You need to get the kind of tape used to stick picture hooks to walls, or a small roll of No More Nails Tape.
    Upright the stone as above, stick about 1.5-2.0 cm of tape firmly onto the dome of the stone. Leave for 5 minutes or more. Then hold tight and give the doubled up ends of the tape a sharp tug. This often works even if you have to try once more.

The remaining option of unsetting the stones and starting again is too painful to think about, so I hope you will succeed. Dennis.

I tried to get the stone to sit flat but unfortuneatly it wouldn't, so eventually using a rod I pushed the stone out. Then I sanded the top of the tube setting down a little to get rid of the curving in sides. This time I used a round bur then switched to a stone setting bur to give it move of a ledge. Pressed all the way round with a square bezel pusher. Set all three stones, feeling relieved. Will post some photos later.

Yes that's a great relief, but also a lot learned for next time.

Some photos of the making process. It turned out better than I could have imagined. It's quite weighty but within acceptable levels I believe. Maybe I would use slightly thinner wire for the shank next time. I loved using 24ct gold on the backplate, that was a real treat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231122_045452_compress46.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	13561

Name:	20231122_062817_compress55.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	13562

Name:	20231122_103157_compress4.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	13563

Name:	20231122_111722_compress57.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	13564

Name:	20231122_205802_compress14.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	13565

That’s a bonnie ring Sheena, it’s turned out really well

That's a splendid ring Sheena and it could become a family heirloom.

Thanks Caroline and Dennis. It was out of my comfort zone. I find it surprising that I actually made it.

That is absolutely gorgeous Sheena!!! It has been lovely seeing all the progress shots too.
    Jules