Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnifying headbands for people with glasses

Default Magnifying headbands for people with glasses

Hello,

I’m wearing glasses and was wondering what experience people have with glasses in combination with a magnifier headband.

Any recommendations / favourites?

Thank you

I wear glasses and use an Optivisor with no problems.

Headband magnifiers work perfectly well with glasses. Most people over 50 need one.

The most quoted one is the Optivisor, but it is expensive, heavy, and can be quite sweaty in the summer.

You cold consider something like this: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/magni...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

4x is recommended. To clean without scratching use a soft brush and water or soap. then leave to dry. Dennis

I love my headband Magnifier, being a hobbyist expensive top of the range products aren’t my priority and i rather have something cheap than nothing.
    I came across a budget magnifier at a trade show that I tried and thought was great so paid £8 for it. What I really like about it is it has a second flip down lens that makes it quick and easy to swap between two magnifications and focal lengths and I seem to use this function a lot. When doing a search on the web it comes up hugely varying in price.
    It is the one that has a burgundy plastic light that I never use and it also has a third drop-down eyepiece magnifier that I also never used and soon broke off. I dropped mine recently and badly scratched the plastic lens. I’ve just ordered a new one for £6 from cousins. I have tried the top of the range type and yes the clarity with a glass lens is fabulous but I would want 2 sets to easily swap between magnifications … Hope you find what you’re looking for … Nick

I've broken several of those headband magnifiers.... I live and work in an old cottage and I forget that the doors are so low when I push them up and go in search of a cup of tea!

What's working well for me are cheap reading glasses about twice that of my reading prescription. Even better, I've bought my safety glasses in this higher magnification which means I do actually use them as I can see what I'm doing with them far better than I can without!

The perils of living in an old cottage … i’ve occasionally resorted to wearing doubled up high magnification readers from Poundland … works a treat when desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Headband magnifiers work perfectly well with glasses. Most people over 50 need one.

The most quoted one is the Optivisor, but it is expensive, heavy, and can be quite sweaty in the summer.

You cold consider something like this: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/magni...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

4x is recommended. To clean without scratching use a soft brush and water or soap. then leave to dry. Dennis
    Thanks for the recommendation Dennis and at a really good price too!
    Jules

Hi Jules, the one I used all my professional life, and then for jewellery making is no longer available in the UK (Lactona magnifying loupe x4)
    So the link above shows something close.

However I have just found what might be the same thing, even cheaper. At this price it is certainly worth a try.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/magnifiers/1830966

Regards, Dennis.

I didn't know that Dennis. The Lactona is the one I have, so will keep your alternative one in mind, as I've nearly broken mine several times, forgetting its on my head!
    Jules

They are really sneaky with their low price as they only offer next day delivery for £7.

Having said that during lockdown when the dental companies stopped allowing to buy theirs I ordered from a company in NI. It was £50, so flimsy with a crack in the frame. Shoddiest thing I’d ever seen but they didn’t allow automatic returns and I wasn’t up for a fight so it’s in the tools graveyard as an expensive reminder