Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollow sterling silver ring with a dent and hole…..

Default Hollow sterling silver ring with a dent and hole…..

Any bright ideas please as how to renovate this….fill it with extra easy solder? I am scared to use much heat incase it ends up a blob of silver!
    Or sweat solder a thin “patch” over the damaged area using extras easy paste solder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 31-10-2023 at 04:31 PM.

Is it yours, or a customers?

If its yours, I'd re-melt and turn it into something else! If its a customers, I'd say no. as I haven't a clue how to repair it, though I'm sure someone will come along and tell you how.

Good luck with it. BTW, I never use paste with rings, as I've found its just not good or strong enough for the job.
    Jules

It isn’t mine! I still want to have a go!!! It remains strong as the hole / split….is only on one side. I have half a mind to araldite fill the hole and profile it!!!!

Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 31-10-2023 at 05:49 PM.

Nooooo, don't you dare! Surely you can measure the OD of the hollow sheet and form some more silver sheet around something to fit the profile ring? That's what I'd do, or have a go at making a hollow copper ring and then use that to repair the silver one? Its an interesting challenge to have though.
    Jules

Yes mam! Thought that might cause a reaction! I am determined to plate it in some way and return it to the owner!!

I’m with Jules, glue indeed!
    I know it’s stamped 925 but make sure it’s silver before you heat it. You could always make an artwork of it and fill it with coloured resin. Is it worth the amount of work involved?

In theory... Cut out the damaged area, make up a slightly thicker plate shaped to fit. Weld in place (or solder, if that's an air hole I can see). File to finish.
    In practice - walk away or remake from scratch. It's an expensive repair and TBH there's probably as much labour in the repair as a remake. If, as Caroline says, it's silver.

I am worried that trying to solder in a piece what with the thinness of the silver at this point where max wear has taken place is 0.2mm the wh
    ole lot could melt before the solder! The thickness elasewhere is greater ....…. 0.5mm
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 01-11-2023 at 10:33 AM.

My main thought would be walk away from the ring! Had it been something really special I’d have gone with a patch too but as we say up here it looks gubbed and it would be going in my scrap pot

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions ……I will ponder on. I still think I may have a go having told her it could end up a blob of disfigured ring and if she doesn’t mind the risk it will give me a good challenge and that is how we learn……..a continuing story!