Thread: Hallmarks

Default Hallmarks

Hi all, whilst on the subject of hallmarks does anyone recognise these … cheers … Nick

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	13556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2523.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	13557 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2521.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	13558
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 21-10-2023 at 01:52 PM.

Is it a mark for silver? Thanks … N

Hi Nick,
    I hope someone more authoritative will come in to put me right, but it does not seem to have the attributes of a British hallmark (except maybe the lions head, but no date letter, or sponsors initials).
    It coud be from abroad, or simply a ruse to make you believe it's siver.
    Kind regards, Dennis.

https://www.thesilversociety.org/res...y-your-silver/

Thanks for that Dennis, I bought the knife in a charity shop thinking it was silver but didn’t have my glasses at the time. when I got home and had a look I was a bit disappointed to see that they are rather vague … N
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 21-10-2023 at 08:34 PM.

No not U.K. marks. Seem to be flowers and a rooster. Maybe still continental silver although I did a reverse image search and nothing
    Last edited by CJ57; 21-10-2023 at 11:14 PM.

I wondered if they were the fake hallmarks designed to impress your guests with how rich you were when you weren't really!

Usually though there are makers initials on them which lets you track down the manufacturer. I've never seen anything quite like them either and I've had a look through my own books and not come up with anything.

Thanks for trying that caroline, not tried reverse imaging before … useful tool to know. May try making a video “cutlery to cuff bracelet” and asking any viewers if they recognise them. Should keep a magnifying loop on my keyring for when out spontaneous shopping … Cheers … Nick

Thanks for checking your books Caro and i think you’re right fake hallmarks sound lightly having such little detail on the marks. I’ll probably treat it as if it is silver and see how far I get with it. No soldering needed to turn it into a cuff and the initial annealing may give me a clue … cheers … Nick

It’s a useful tool Nick, although I didn’t try all the lesser known servers which are usually foreign language so I don’t bother.
    On the cutlery to cuff vid, I thought I’d better check in case I misremembered so here is the link for upcycling cutlery https://www.assayoffice.co.uk/our-se...-change-of-use. I guess it’s primarily if you want to sell it on as a lot of people do.. From a U.K. law point of view thought it handy to know. It used to come up on forums all the time people having seen them at fairs a lot when they were sticking to the law, challenging and getting abuse:/

Thanks caroline that made an interesting read. It had never crossed my mind that it might be an issue for sellers. Sounds about right the assay office wanting a slice of the pie.
    Repurposed cutlery had a very in look at one time, not sure if it still is. As a hobbyist I’m just having fun with stuff nothing too serious or sales. Having ideas for YouTube videos is more of an enjoyable challenge. Asking viewers if they have any opinions about the mark’s might turn something up if I can get a video out of it … cheers … Nick