Thread: A very basic question

Default A very basic question

Will copper taint a. Pickle and b. Taint the shot in a polisher? As sterling silver has a percentage of copper I would have thought not, but better to be sure than to have a disaster!
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 15-09-2023 at 09:29 AM.

It never has for me. I use the same pickle and polishing shot for everything, cooper, silver and mixed metal pieces.

Thanks! Through ignorance I didn’t want to waste pickle and contaminate the shot.
    David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been using copper tongs with my pickle for 15 years have not had a problem yet, shot I don't know as I don't use it I would not think it would have any effect.

Copper will not taint pickle, but will more rapidly turn the pickle dark blue. This raised copper sulphate content will bring it to the end of its useful life.

However with the addition of a few iron nails, it will become a rapid copper plating solution, for instance to disguise silver solder used on copper items.

Copper will not spoil stainless steel shot, provided you use a barrelling powder or a detergent. That said, it might be wise to change the solution, if changing from copper to barrelling silver. Dennis.