Thread: White bloom on Lapis Lazuli stone - Help please

Default White bloom on Lapis Lazuli stone - Help please

Hi,
    I am new here and am looking for a little advice.
    I carried out a small solder repair for my sister, on the clasp of a sterling silver necklace with a lapis lazuli pendant. It has sentimental value but I'm unsure of actual quality ( she purchased it on holiday) The stone had previously fallen off and been repaired by her husband, with superglue.
    Because of this, and knowing that Lapis can be damaged relatively easily, I was very careful to keep the soldering and pickle away from the pendant.
    However whilst I was rinsing the piece (post-pickle) I was called away and mistakenly left the necklace in a ramekin of water overnight. The pendant was draped over the side and not submerged at all.

Now there appears to be a white, speckled bloom or haze or discolouration on the surface of the stone. I am baffled and very disappointed in myself, I am only a hobbyist trying to do a favour for my sister by repairing her favourite necklace. Now I'm worried I've somehow ruined it.

I am fairly sure the surface of the stone was pure blue beforehand. I will try to attach some photos to this post.

Is it possible that water crept up the chain overnight and into the stone, damaging it? Seems unlikely but how else could this have happened?

Is there anything I can do to restore the stone back to blue? I tried a quick polish to no avail, and I'm scared to try anything else without asking the experts.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer!
    Last edited by LapisLazuli; 16-08-2023 at 05:35 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
    Lapiz is prone to being attacked by acid fumes, or solutions, and possibly fumes from heated superglue. Whatever it was, the effect becomes more apparent when the stone is dry.

If not too severe the bloom will polish away with a household polish intended for metal, or with car polish, used on a clean soft cloth, then washing up liquid.

Failing that you can have the stone replaced, but that could be an expensive option. Dennis

Some Lapis contains a white quartz like structure, are you you sure it was not already there as in this pic, also some lapis is dyed and very susseptible to damage
    If by some chance it is imitation, the any thing could have caused it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lapis.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	13550

Do you have a picture, I am a Lapidary and happy to have a look for you. John

Quote Originally Posted by J Allison View Post
    Do you have a picture, I am a Lapidary and happy to have a look for you. John

Hi John, thanks so much. Unfortunately I've not been able to upload the pictures, I just keep getting an error message

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.
    Lapiz is prone to being attacked by acid fumes, or solutions, and possibly fumes from heated superglue. Whatever it was, the effect becomes more apparent when the stone is dry.

If not too severe the bloom will polish away with a household polish intended for metal, or with car polish, used on a clean soft cloth, then washing up liquid.

Failing that you can have the stone replaced, but that could be an expensive option. Dennis
    Hi Dennis, thanks very much for that. Would polishing compound or rouge work? Hannah

Hi China,
    Thanks for your reply. There is every chance it is imitation! And no, I am not 100% sure it wasn't there to start with. Such a pickle (no pun intended!)
    Hannah

Quote Originally Posted by LapisLazuli View Post
    Hi Dennis, thanks very much for that. Would polishing compound or rouge work? Hannah
    Medium polishing compound would work, but only lightly applied, possibly with a cloth, or you could overdo it.