Thread: Charcoal block vs. Silica vs Cast iron Crucibles for Silver -- a puzzled newbie

Default Charcoal block vs. Silica vs Cast iron Crucibles for Silver -- a puzzled newbie

Hi Folks

I am new to casting silver and was wondering what the merits of the different types of crucible are for small scale melting with a torch. Cooksons sell all 3 but I have been unable to find clear discussion of their relative merits. Can anyone help enlighten me here?

Thanks

ian

Hi Starfish. What are you casting, just ingots, or pieces of jewellery? Dennis.

Hi Dennis

not really ingots - thin pieces for rolling into sheet and maybe some small delf clay castings.

Hi Ian i do casting with Delft Clay and ingots for making wire. For melting silver, copper and bronze I always use the 2 inch square Scorifiers. I find them great to use because they’re cheap and you can have a variety of them for different metals. The small ones are easily heated to melting temperatures and can just about hold 50g of molten silver. People melting gold and platinum may choose to use a more advanced Scorifier. Also I find making a handle for a square one is easier than for a round shape. I’ve used the 3 inch square for larger melts however, it takes a lot more energy to get them up to temperature and it’s not so good for swirling molten metal around before pouring as the bowl has a square form to it … good luck with it … Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 11-08-2023 at 09:59 PM.