Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Gas and equipment

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Exeter, Devon
    Posts
    1,803

    Default Gas and equipment

    Hi, I'm back again. My problem is my calor gas bottle was empty and when I came to refill it they told me that the 4.7kg bottle was discontinued, suggested using a 7kg bottle, but I need to buy all the bits as mine wont fit. So here I am, trying to make up my mind what to use now. I have looked on the Cookson site and thought the Sievert beginners torch may be a good bet, I have been soldering etc for 11 years so not a beginner but work in my spare bedroom, so need something smalllish. Dont want a handheld as I am blind in one eye and dont want to knock it over, and the Sievert one has a hanger. Opinions and ideas welcomed please. Pat Lee P.s Hello to Dennis and Miz George.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Hi, I'm back again. My problem is my calor gas bottle was empty and when I came to refill it they told me that the 4.7kg bottle was discontinued, suggested using a 7kg bottle, but I need to buy all the bits as mine wont fit. So here I am, trying to make up my mind what to use now. I have looked on the Cookson site and thought the Sievert beginners torch may be a good bet, I have been soldering etc for 11 years so not a beginner but work in my spare bedroom, so need something smalllish. Dont want a handheld as I am blind in one eye and dont want to knock it over, and the Sievert one has a hanger. Opinions and ideas welcomed please. Pat Lee P.s Hello to Dennis and Miz George.
    I have the Sievert and love it (and am also effectively a one eyed silversmith as I lack binocular vision!)

    If you choose Sievert, then buy from Hamilton Gas rather than Cooksons (will that get me banned??). It's significantly cheaper and Hamilton will answer all your questions as they have the necessary technical knowledge.

    I have an adaptor from them that allows me to run mine on butane rather than propane so if you tell them what you want to do and what cylinder you want to connect to, they will make sure you have the necessary parts. I wanted more heat than the jewellers tip produces for casting and they told me exactly what I needed to buy. Amazing service.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,384

    Default

    I’ve had a sievert forever and see no reason to change now.
    I’m about to back you Caro as it’s worth shooting around for everything now as I have found Cookson is not the cheapest just convenient

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Exeter, Devon
    Posts
    1,803

    Default Sievert

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I’ve had a sievert forever and see no reason to change now.
    I’m about to back you Caro as it’s worth shooting around for everything now as I have found Cookson is not the cheapest just convenient
    I didnt see your note until I had already bought a Sievert from Cooksons. I bought the beginners one as I already had a regulator, only to find to find that the handset equipment already has a regulator built in. I couldnt get it to work initially and the Flogas chappie didnt know either, only to find out yesterday that there is a black button on the setup that sends the gas up the pipe. I tried the burner they sent but it was a bit fierce, so I ordered the 8mm one. Most of the stuff I make is delicate things like earrings. Hope the smaller one will work OK. Still haven't found out what the black button on the regulator does, unless it only sends the gas through.
    Last edited by Patstone; 13-08-2023 at 07:05 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    261

    Default

    I think you have what is called a hose failure valve rather than a regulator. The little button will pop out if it detects any sudden change of pressure like a damaged hose. Small to large interchangeable nozzles have a tiny jet in them that controls the gas flow. If you change a nozzle without turning the gas off this may also cause the button to pop out. As well as removing the valve from the bottle will activate the button … N

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Exeter, Devon
    Posts
    1,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicks creative stuff View Post
    I think you have what is called a hose failure valve rather than a regulator. The little button will pop out if it detects any sudden change of pressure like a damaged hose. Small to large interchangeable nozzles have a tiny jet in them that controls the gas flow. If you change a nozzle without turning the gas off this may also cause the button to pop out. As well as removing the valve from the bottle will activate the button N
    I have only just bought it, it's Cooksons beginner kit, it doesn't say that it's a regulator, but the flogas chap said it was. The button is in the IN position, and I can't get it out again. Do I need a regulator as well.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    261

    Default

    No need for a regulator with this set up. The button is a safety device and stays pressed in and the gas will flow. it will only pop out and cut off the supply if it detects a sudden change in gas pressure like when you disconnect the bottle. After reconnecting a bottle simply push it back in again and away you go Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 13-08-2023 at 02:19 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Exeter, Devon
    Posts
    1,803

    Default Black button

    Quote Originally Posted by nicks creative stuff View Post
    No need for a regulator with this set up. The button is a safety device and stays pressed in and the gas will flow. it will only pop out and cut off the supply if it detects a sudden change in gas pressure like when you disconnect the bottle. After reconnecting a bottle simply push it back in again and away you go Nick
    The button is pushed in and there is no gas coming out of it. My next plan is to take off the hose connector thingy to hope that the button will pop out. I am 76 yrs old and haven't got a man to undo it for me, but spoke nicely to my neighbour and he is coming in tomorrow after work to undo it for me. I just hope it works. Pat

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Exeter, Devon
    Posts
    1,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicks creative stuff View Post
    No need for a regulator with this set up. The button is a safety device and stays pressed in and the gas will flow. it will only pop out and cut off the supply if it detects a sudden change in gas pressure like when you disconnect the bottle. After reconnecting a bottle simply push it back in again and away you go Nick
    I don't think I was logged in when I replied to you.
    The button is in at the moment and no gas. I can't undo the hose thingy as I haven't got the strength in my hands now (I'm 76) and haven't got a man to do it for me.. However I have got a nice strong neighbour who offered to undo it for me after work tomorrow. Just hope it works opposite to what you said !!!!!!! Pat

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Sorry that you’re struggling with your kit Pat, if you’ve had it working I’m sure it should run again. Try this sequence once more … connect a large flame nozzle to your hand piece (it may take time for air to bleed out of a small nozzle) … make sure the tap on the hand piece is turned off … have the valve on the end of the hose connected to your bottle … turn the bottle on … push the button in … now turn on the tap on your handpiece and ignite … hopefully… N
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 13-08-2023 at 05:47 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •