Thread: To colour or not to colour - that is the question

Default To colour or not to colour - that is the question

I am looking to add some colour to my silver work but I don't have time or the head space to master a complicated art at the moment. I really only want to do some simple colour blocks at the moment.

I'm no artist so any fancy designs are way outside my skill set; it'll be a couple of colours max on a piece.

Efcolor is the obvious choice but being a plastic based resin it seems out of place on sterling silver jewellery. Has anyone used it and does it look OK or does it look cheap?

"Proper" enamelling seems to have a much higher barrier to entry (although I do have a suitable kiln). Can you learn without classes?

I quite fancy the ceramic coating but it seems you need to send the pieces away to be done and I'm a bit too spontaneous in my jewellery making to be that organised.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Hi Caroline nothing to do with enamelling, but more to do with adding natural colour to silver, I thought I’d mention something I saw a long time ago. I met an artist who was setting small pieces of shaped copper to their silver work, mostly in a cabochon style setting as well as riveting. They had coloured their copper shapes with blue patina using salt and ammonia, and it looked stunning. The blue, green, aqua, turquoise colours were very vivid and unique looking and contrasted well against the silver. Do explore glass enamelling, bit of a massive subject but easy to get started with, if kept simple the results can be very satisfying … good luck with it … N
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 04-08-2023 at 09:20 PM.

Just like you Caroline, there came a time when I would have liked more colour in my work. Painting onto silver would have done it a disservice, unless using proper fired enamel.
    So I spent a whole term at college trying to teach myself, and also went on a weeks course. It became obvious that I was going nowhere fast.
    As a result I had to content myself with just using bright artificial stones for a more jolly effect, and eventually turning to acrylics, which are not everyone's cup of tea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f Feather Brooch Second Version.jpg   Ac5 Elastc Bracelet 2.jpg  

Well I'm now slightly less freaked out by glass enamelling.

I initially made the mistake of watching an American video where the demonstrator started out with safety. Must have safety glasses and must use a dust mask. OK I can get behind that. Powdered glass does not belong in the lungs and eyes are precious.

It was when he got on to changing your clothes completely after an enamelling session and then taking a shower he started to worry me!

More youtubing last night and I found a UK video - no masks and no eye protection and a US teacher who has been enamelling for 50 years and not using any protection so I guess opinions differ on the risks but a full post session decontamination regime does seem to be a bit OTT!

I have a starter kit sitting in a basket and will give it some more thought over the weekend but I think I'm going to have to take the plunge...

I actually like the bright bold acrylics Dennis - it's a bit loud for me but they look fun and sometimes jewellery is taken a bit too seriously.

Thanks Nick - I've played with patina a bit but I was thinking of some hot pinks and reds!
    Last edited by Caro; 05-08-2023 at 02:44 PM.

I have been using fired enamel s for 50+ years, on various substrates, I have never used a mask, or changed my clothes afterward no ill effects as yet.