Thread: butane/propane which is best and a torch to use with it.

Default butane/propane which is best and a torch to use with it.

Hello AGAIN, it's mee. My 4.5kg Calor butane bottle ran out a couple of days ago, I have been looking for another but been told that Calor don't produce them any more, it is now a 7kg, which is fine, but nobody seems to have regulators or hoses that fit. Next option is Propane, which apparently is 10° hotter. At the moment I am using a handheld butane, as I only do about 4 shows a year and the occasional commission is it worth replacing "set-up" with a bigger one, especially as I'm 76yrs.
    Pat

Hi Pat,
    I am unable to answer this, but maybe another member can. Keep Looking. Regards, Dennis.

Hi Pat, I think it may be quite unusual to have a torch running with a butane regulator and hose. If your hose has a female connector and a new 7 kg bottles have a clip on connection You have a few options to try … #A new 21mm clip on butane regulator for a 7kg bottle should cost round about £10 and would be easy to fit If your hose is a standard size … #There may be a conversion adapter available for this situation. It will look like a clip on regulator for the new bottle but has a male outlet connector to accept your setup. … #Another option is if you have a friend with a propane set up, you could try your torch on this to see if it will run on propane … #Put a wanted ad out in social media for any unwanted 4.5kg bottles of gas, surprising how well this can work sometimes … #I often go into my local bottled gas supplier taking equipment in with me that I’m struggling with and ask them to help me figure it all out, luckily they’re very friendly and experienced … #If you invest in a new propane torch and setup and look after it well, you would probably get most of your money back one day if you retire and sell your equipment … Good luck with it … Nick.
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 28-07-2023 at 05:38 PM.

Does it have to be Calor?

I use Flogas and they do a 4.5kg butane cylinder.

The local Calor shop, is for big business users and the man at Calor said they have agents, in this case its Go Outdoors which is a shop that sells mostly clothing for walking etc and the staff knew very little about the gas and fittings. Not helpful.

Hi Pat, did you look at the option of using a convergent adapter like this … https://tezlagasproducts.co.uk/produ...09-male-outlet … N
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 06-08-2023 at 08:27 AM.

its knowing where to go to find someone that knows what Im talking about. I think thats what I have now, but it doesnt fit on the 7kg calor bottle.
    Last edited by Patstone; 06-08-2023 at 09:09 AM.

Sorry Pat, this subject is a bit of a minefield and rather confusing. if I’m right this adapter fits onto a standard 7kg calor butane bottle that has a 21mm clip on outlet. However the outlet connection to this adapter is a male thread that your old regulator should screw on too … N

I think maybe the other option is just to change your regulator like this … https://youtu.be/IU9enQDDmqUit’s … N
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 06-08-2023 at 02:05 PM.