Thread: Backplate in fine silver

Default Backplate in fine silver

Hi all, made this one yesterday the stone is a translucent pink amythyst. The backplate is 0.5mm sterling silver with a star cut into it. My only concern is that after a while it'll tarnish making the ring design unsightly. So I'm thinking of trying fine silver instead. What about 0.8mm to compensate for being softer than sterling? Any comments, negative or otherwise, would be appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230721_063832_compress8.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	13540

I’ve used fine silver for back plates especially if I want to keum boo. It’s not a large area and it’ll be fine. Love the shank

The point is, that fine silver tarnishes too Sheena, as it takes up sulphur dioxide from the atmosphere, to form a dark layer of silver sulphide.
    The remedy is to omit the star, or cover the reverse of the star with sheet, so that the setting is sealed against polluted air.
    Alternatively use Argentium, which takes a year or more to discolour, slowly turning more yellow.
    Dennis.

Thanks Caroline, that's the first time I've used that particular shank wire. Dennis you've provided me with lots of food for thought. I'm already making another one with argentium but I also like your idea of covering the reverse of the star with sheet. So will be giving that a go too.

Hi Dennis, this is the ring with a closed setting in argentium. I'm finding argentium solders beautifully
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230723_064557_compress46.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	13541

That should work now. I can see that with such a pale translucent stone, you really need a design behind. Dennis.