Thread: Wax/casting grills

Post Wax/casting grills

Hi good morning I’m a new to the grills industry and I’ve been having an issue that’s been costing me a lot. My issue is that when I make my grills mold and I wax up using 22 gauge wax sheets and a wax pen it fits the molds perfectly comes off and everything. I take it to the castor to get casted after cast they fit the mold perfect, But sometimes when customers put them in it’s usually not fitting the teeth how I would want it to fit yet fits shorter and smaller why is that?

My hypothesis to this issue was maybe using the wax pen and keep heating the wax over and over again to get it to fit the mold perfectly before casting is damaging the wax ? Or is it the wax I’m using? Should I cut out using a wax pen all together or is the wax shrinking? If so how do o fix this issue because it’s costing me double having to make it over again sometimes.
    Thank you help will be much appreciated!

Part of the lost wax process is shrinkage. you need to make the wax around 5% larger although lot of things effect this number its more of a starting point. I have only made one set of grills and took a mould filled the mould with plaster and scanned the plaster copy. then increased the size in CAD then milled and cast the final wax mode. You could also do this by building up the plaster model then using the sheets over the bigger model.

This is new to me. Anyone please explain 'grills' and 'grills industry'? Google thinks it's about barbecues. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    This is new to me. Anyone please explain 'grills' and 'grills industry'? Google thinks it's about barbecues. Dennis.
    Thanks goodness Dennis! I have no idea what this is all about.
    Husband has found it Grilz. Purely cosmetic and very bad for your teeth apparently
    Last edited by CJ57; 11-07-2023 at 12:31 PM.

Yeah like a capping that goes over your teeth Like Jaws out of James Bond !

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Yeah like a capping that goes over your teeth Like Jaws out of James Bond !
    How lovely! Although I don’t know why Beyoncé and Katy Perry would have one , rappers I get

Oh well, have nothing to do with it then. Without serious cutting of the teeth, caps can't be slipped on and expected to fit.

Wearing that for extended periods with its overhangs at the gum margins, would lead to gingivitis, smelly breath, and loosening of the tooth.

In the UK this can only be done properly by a qualified dentist, supported by a dental technician. Unless cemented into place, it would also be a choking hazard. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Part of the lost wax process is shrinkage. you need to make the wax around 5% larger although lot of things effect this number its more of a starting point. I have only made one set of grills and took a mould filled the mould with plaster and scanned the plaster copy. then increased the size in CAD then milled and cast the final wax mode. You could also do this by building up the plaster model then using the sheets over the bigger model.
    I see thank you for this! I will attempt this to see if it helps change things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk