Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interlocking bangles

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Please don't anybody go straight ahead without testing it in copper first. Dennis.
    Haha - yes wise advice. I was going to use some copper wire but sadly I missed the bangle die with my hammer and caught my thumb instead so that's the end of my metalsmithing for a day or two. Who knew thumbs were used so much!

Should have gone to Specsavers! Ouch.
    David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heighington, a village just out of Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Please don't anybody go straight ahead without testing it in copper first. Dennis.
    got my copper so just working out three lengths, and see how it turns out

I had a go.

I used 233mm and got an internal diameter of 70mm using 2mm round copper wire. I wasn't spot on with my measuring but close enough

I did my calculation at pi x d+3t, where pi is 3.142, d is 65.5 and t is wire thickness of 1.9, that gave me three lengths of wire at 223.7, after making three copper bangles I cut and interlocked them and they were far too big, on that basis I discounted Josef1 calculation of 232.7 and instead took it down to pi multiplied by d+2t that gave me 216.39 and when the copper was done it gave me a triple interlocking band that was 64.5 by 67 oval, I made a silver one using pi d+2t and it came out perfectly, I now have another to make in slightly thicker metal

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    I had a go.

I used 233mm and got an internal diameter of 70mm using 2mm round copper wire. I wasn't spot on with my measuring but close enough
    I eventually found used 1.9 oval wire at 216.38 and it worked very well, I also now have a bangle die and a ring die 🫣 thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by bruggen View Post
    I eventually found used 1.9 oval wire at 216.38 and it worked very well, I also now have a bangle die and a ring die �� thanks for that.
    How are you getting on with the ring die? I bought one this week. I tried it with a hammer and ended up with a totally mangled ring as it moved between each hammer stroke. I was very unimpressed.

It works beautifully with the hydraulic press

I’ve not tried it yet, I’m assuming I will have to use quite a thin wire, I will watch out for movement, maybe annealing the wire first will be a must, a hydraulic press would be by far the best way

glad you got it sorted !

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    glad you got it sorted !
    Thank you very much for your help too, made me think and made me make from copper first, your rendition should have worked, I did cut the copper to size too but after making mine at 10mm shorter and it being too big I realised yours would be too big too