Thread: Transformable Jewellery

Default Transformable Jewellery

Hi there! I am a Jewellery & Silversmithing student and thinking about basing my dissertation on transformable jewellery. However, there is not a lot of content available in this area. I was hoping if anyone had any opinions/information on transformable jewellery that they would be okay to share. In addition, as makers and designers yourselves, how do you feel about the development and making of transformable jewellery?

Any and all advice/comments are appreciated. Hope you all have a nice day

Hi Cynthia, and welcome to the forum.
    Just a few initial thoughts:

Very useful for fine, or high end jewellery, where a pendant can be worn on a necklace, or as a brooch. There are also tiaras, and rings, where the gemstones can be changed to suit the occasion. But a complete faff, unless you have a dresser to do the changing for you.

For every day, or costume jewellery, it is obviously much more convenient to sling it on and go.

Hope this will get a discussion started, but might be some days before the members join in. Dennis.

Hi Cynthia.
    I will admit I had to look it up. I’m aware of antique jewellery having more than one use. I have a couple of pieces but they tend to have become separated from their other part.
    It’s not something I’ve made but I have been known to change the use of a piece if it’s sat about too long and I believe it can be better!
    I’ve only known transferable jewellery to be high end, jewel set pieces. I do have some deco pieces that could either be dress or shoe clips.
    It’s not something I’ve thought about much in my design process so sorry I haven’t been much help

Hi Dennis!

Thank you for the welcome and for sharing your thoughts

Hi Caroline!

Thank you for putting in the time to answer my thread and it has been helpful

I think making something that can be used as a brooch, or pendant adds value to it. I like it as a concept, but think it would be time consuming to fabricate, which would have to be reflected in the price. Like Caroline, I regularly modify things if they either don't sell, or I think they can be improved.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I think making something that can be used as a brooch, or pendant adds value to it. I like it as a concept, but think it would be time consuming to fabricate, which would have to be reflected in the price. Like Caroline, I regularly modify things if they either don't sell, or I think they can be improved.
    Nothing like a perfectionist remake Jules. I’ve made reversible pendants or items that work differently than normal and people sometimes look at you as if you’re mad and it frightens them off