Thread: 18ct Red/Rose gold solder

Default 18ct Red/Rose gold solder

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. Hello.

I am hoping for some help locating a small amount of 18ct rose gold solder for a one-off ring commission. Easy or Medium grade.
    I know its available in sheet form but the cost of a full sheet would be too much so I'm wondering if anyone could sell me a small amount so I'm able to complete the order? I've asked around locally but no luck. Based in Fife, close to Edinburgh, if that's useful.

Thanks and Best Wishes - Mary

Hi Mary. I’m in Fife too but can’t help you I’m afraid. Have you tried the Scottish forum on FB , there are a few Fifers on there?

What type of ring if it is just a plain ring with one join and you are meticulous and create tight perfect join, you can get away with yellow solder.

I've just sold my last of this, what a shame.

Betts and Eurofindings have 18ct red in half panels (1g), which is a bit less horrific than the price of a full panel, or you may be able to find somewhere with some in wire form - Bellore Rashbel have only got yellow at the moment, which might work if you solder really, really neatly.

Alternatively, could it be laser welded? I've always struggled to find a really good solder match for 18ct red, and found this a good option the last time I needed it.

Dear Mary,
    As you probably know, red gold becomes more yellow when heated and pickled. Coupled as mentioned below with a good close join, you can easily get away with yellow. You could also get your customer on side by explaining this at the start.

Now the point is that 10mm of 0.5mm medium wire solder from Cookson would snip into pieces and be enough for your ring. The cost would be around £2.00 including postage. Regards, Dennis.

https://www.cooksongold.com/Solders/...-HPB-720&add=n