Thread: How to “mount” this piece of Amber

Default How to “mount” this piece of Amber

I have been asked to mount this piece of Amber onto a 7mm wide silver ring. As you can see it is an irregular rectangle. I have cleaned it up but the fairly rustic flavour is to be preserved. I have thought of making a bezel with 2 claws either side to “grip” the amber. But I fear the claws may catch on clothing and bend. I even thought of drilling shallow housings for the tips of the claws in the sides of the amber so hopefully avoiding the catching element. Any bright ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its a beautiful piece of amber David.

Claws won't let you down if you make them from half round wire and keep the ends round and short. Weaken them inside with a saw cut and triangular file before bending.

Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that stones are best shown off using the least possible amount of metal. So sketch out lots of alternatives.

In this case it occurs to me is that you could make a bezel setting first. and then make a row of half round notches or scallops all along the edges. using a cylinder burr, or round file. This would leave you with less metal to push home and replace the idea of claws.

The only downside is that amber is soft and rubbery so is easily damaged by metal tools. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 05-06-2023 at 08:17 PM.

I wouldn't mount it in a ring, as rings take a lot of wear and tear. I'd mount it as a pendant, though. As Dennis says, its a beautiful piece of amber. Good luck with whatever you choose to do with it.
    Jules

As Jules says amber isn’t great ring material as it’s a resin and therefore quite soft. If you can polish it with toothpaste and get skid burns if you polish it too hard on the bench polisher (I’ve done both) then the wear and tear of a ring isn’t going to be great for such a lovely piece

Default How to “mount” this piece of Amber

Thanks for all you advices. The lady in question is adamant……a ring it must be! I have myself explained it must be mollycoddled and used for polite evening wear only, due to its softness. She accepts this. I will chew this all over but think the “Dennis bezel” may be my first attempt. I would love a suggested sketch, Dennis!….I envisage a crown like structure with 4 “points”?? I also suspect it is a little small for a meaningful pendant for this lady anyhow.
    David
    Below a sketch of my “crown”!
    The points would be much more slender and the bezel “belt” a minimum height. The vanishing points were quite a challenge first thing in the morning!

Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 06-06-2023 at 07:31 AM.

Yes, that's the kind of thing I have in mind. It will give it a more ethnic look too.The number of points, and dips is up to yo. Dennis.

Thanks so much to all of you for your comments and ideas. Going to be quite a challenge and I am not going to rush it!
    Watch this space!!!
    David