Thread: Polishing Moonstone?

Default Polishing Moonstone?

Hi guys, I wanted to ask on what the best course of action would be on this ring that I own.
    My end goal is to make the stone itself as shiny and sparkly as the edges, but do let me know if this isn't possible.
    So. How do I get rid of the wear and debris on top of the stone, and how should I polish it afterwards?

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9943.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	13524

Hi krissirk, and welcome to the Forum.

That poor ring has been well and truly worn.
    To polish the moonstone, you need to go gently, or it will loose its domed shape. That suggests small tools, such as pendant wheels with pastes and a handpiece driven by a motor.
    Once done, the damaged ring will be crying out for similar treatment.
    If you have no tools of your own, it will be best to find a friendly workshop, or a jeweller to do it for you.

Assembling the basic tools and equipment, and acquiring the skills would be far more costly than paying someone to do it. Dennis.

Second the recommendation of an expert.

I have the equipment and various pastes and was still unable to get a decent polish on a moonstone that was worn but nowhere nearly as badly as yours. If you can track down your local lapidary club there should be someone who can help.

As any Lapidary, will tell you Moonstone is a P.I.A. to Polish, I highly recommend as the the others have said seek a person who is experienced.

Wow looks like someone dragged it on the floor while they were on a motorbike lol . Send me a message to my website www.brightongemstones.co.uk . John