Thread: Platinum polishing - advice please

Default Platinum polishing - advice please

Hello All,

I'm taking my first steps with platinum, having worked with silver and gold for some time now.
    I understand the need to prevent contamination, so keep files, sandpapers, etc separate.

The main area of advice I need, is in polishing. Firstly, I often use a barrel polisher with steel shot for my silver and gold, and finish with Luxi blue/white/orange with buffs on my Foredom.
    Is platinum suitable for barrel polishing, and with steel shot?
    Will a Foredom motor polish platinum ok, or will I need a larger diameter buff?

Thank you for any tips!

i wouldn't barrel polish PT. Its similar to gold work your way through the papers to 3000 , You can use the little barrel and flat disk sandpapers on your Foredom. You will get a better finish with a larger buff but no reason why you cant buff it with a Foredom. What are you planning on making ?

If you are advanced enough for platinum then I do recommend you take one of Stephen Goldsmith's two day courses on polishing. I know I've said this before but it's true. Even professional working jewellers learned and their polishing improved. You will learn what to use and how to use it using proper professional mop and polish compounds. He's a retired master polisher who has polished the world cup and one off precious metal coins from the royal mint.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Barrel polishing with steel shot is not recommended for platinum. Hand-polishing with larger diameter buffs and specific platinum polishing compounds is recommended.

Be patient and work slowly for best results.

Thank you all! I'm producing an engagement ring. I've always used gold, but now have a client who has requested Pt.

It sounds like there is a consensus that barrel polishing is not recommended.
    Larger diameter buff would be better.

I tend to favour using Luxi polishing compounds - looks like grey for 1st stage scratch removal, and pink for final polish. I will experiment on some scrap Pt and judge the results.

Just don't try to short-cut the grits... If you've not papered out a scratch at one grit, it's absolutely not going to come out with the next one up. Platinum tends to smear when it's polishing more than be removed (obviously some comes off, so still save the sweeps).