Thread: Marathon Champion 3 Micromotor - Variable speed stopped working

Default Marathon Champion 3 Micromotor - Variable speed stopped working

hello, I have a marathon champion 3 micromotor and yesterday the variable speed suddenly stopped working. When I turn it on, it seems to be at the highest speed setting, noticeable blowing of air from the handpiece fan, which it never did before. I never really used the highest setting before, probably max about 1/3 to nearly half way in terms on the dial.
    Wondering if anyone else with this micromotor has had the same issue, and whether it was the handpiece or the control unit itself that was the problem? Annoyingly it fell out of 1yr warranty last month.
    Thanks

Hi Nazza, I'm sorry you are having this problem.
    There is a multitude of variations in Marathon micromotors, and you would expect them to run quite happily for three or four years. Really until the brushes in the handpiece wear down.
    If you have the facility of working without the foot control, then pull it out, and see whether it goes on racing without it.
    If it does, it is most likely a fault in the control box.
    Guarantee period or not, your supplier should be able to get it fixed, but if the price of repair is too high, you might have to opt for a new one.
    Have a look at those intended for dental technicians, which might be more robust. Dennis.

Give the manufacturer a call anyway, despite it being just out of warranty. Most reputable manufacturers will want to resolve the problem for you. Give it a go, you never know!
    Jules

Thank you Dennis. Yes problem still occurs without the foot pedal so I’ll get in touch with Cooksons