Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hall marking quandry

Default Hall marking quandry

Sorry, I may be a sandwich short of a picnic, but what is all this use of AI got to do with my conversation about hallmarking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The content from JazlynMorales has all the hallmarks (badum) of AI generated stuff.

Just received my package back from London. All hall-marked beautifully and a day earlier than predicted!

Glad it worked out well for you. Hope they get sold out. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    I have made a necklace by melting down scraps of silver into 4 balls weighing in at a total of 16.4 g so exceeding the exempt weight for hallmarking. These balls are irregular with no flat surface at all. I drill each ball and suspend them on 1 mm silver wire finished with a eye through which a chain can pass.
    How can this be hallmarked ? Or can it qualify as being exempt as each component is less than 7.85 gms?
    David….Ruedeleglise.

If they are for you or you are giving them to a friend or family member then I don't think that they need to be hallharked as you aren't selling them.

If you plan on selling them and describe them as White Metal balls with no reference to silver at all then they don't have to be hallmarked.

If you plan on selling them as a silver necklace then if they can esily come off the chain (e.g. will fall off when the chain is undone) then they are individual units and won't need to be hallmarked.

If, however, they can't come off the chain without using tools or destroying the necklace then it is going to be one single item. If you plan on selling them as a silver necklace then you will need to have one hallmark applied to the whole necklace. Often this can be on the clasp, the final jump ring before the clasp on on a tag used as a jump ring. Hallmarks can be applied either by stamp or, if there isn't an area that can take a stamp, by laser.

If you don't have a sponsors mark then you can either find someone to package it up with their stuff and act as a sponsor for it (at a charge on top of the assay fees) or you could contact the Assay office to find out how to have it stamped through them. I believe they will allow members of the public to have a small number of items hallmarked without a sponsors mark.