Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hall marking quandry

Default Hall marking quandry

I have made a necklace by melting down scraps of silver into 4 balls weighing in at a total of 16.4 g so exceeding the exempt weight for hallmarking. These balls are irregular with no flat surface at all. I drill each ball and suspend them on 1 mm silver wire finished with a eye through which a chain can pass.
    How can this be hallmarked ? Or can it qualify as being exempt as each component is less than 7.85 gms?
    David….Ruedeleglise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My understanding is that if something can only be removed with the use of pliers or a tool then it’s considered a necklace in this case. If all the components are loose then they are separate pieces. Just about anything can be laser marked somewhere instead of punch marked

Default Hall marking quandry

The 4 silver balls can not be taken apart off the wire except by destroying the article. If each ball was to be hallmarked , the items cost would be ridiculous!

This 3 baller weighs in at 15 g!
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 28-04-2023 at 07:07 AM.

Why not solder them together and make a proper loop for it to hang rather than the wire wrap. If it is permanently on that chain you could get the whole thing hallmarked on a tag at the clasp.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    The 4 silver balls can not be taken apart off the wire except by destroying the article. If each ball was to be hallmarked , the items cost would be ridiculous!

This 3 baller weighs in at 15 g!
    Sorry I read your total weight so thought they were all under.
    In that case it gets marked as one unit then and you choose where you want the mark. If it’s the only piece you are sending in though you’ll have to pay the minimum charge for your assay office. Always good to have a batch to spread the assay cost or you have to add this on for the price to customer

Yes they are all individually under weight. I was just hoping that being separate balls all under weight they may not need to be hallmarked!

As said above if you can remove the balls without the use of tools then they will not need Hallmarking. But it looks like you will need to hallmark it in one place. If the chain cant be removed and its hallmarked I'm not sure where that would leave you ?

I think the most simple thing to do, as suggested, is solder them together as a unit and hallmark. Pity as it was a simple fairly quick way to utilise scrap. Soldering will necessitate flat surfaces however small…….and paying out !

A laser can be marked on a curve I think so you could still leave them as they are or have the clasp marked

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    I have made a necklace by melting down scraps of silver into 4 balls weighing in at a total of 16.4 g so exceeding the exempt weight for hallmarking. These balls are irregular with no flat surface at all. I drill each ball and suspend them on 1 mm silver wire finished with a eye through which a chain can pass.
    How can this be hallmarked ? Or can it qualify as being exempt as each component is less than 7.85 gms?
    David….Ruedeleglise.

Do you intend to sell the item?