Thread: Solder paste

Default Solder paste

Some people love it, some the opposite. I only use occasionally. Last Sunday I was at a jewellery / craft sale and opposite me there was a lady making a delicate pendant with a bezel set stone. She was using paste solder for all the construction.I naturally discussed this with her and she uses paste to a major extent as she finds she can be so exact in placement and minimal quantity. Also another jeweller there said the same thing. Some jewellers don’t approve of paste……your opinions please? Also this lady said if the paste dries out it can be reactivated using Vaseline and I have heard also using water. Any comments???
    David….Ruedeleglise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi David, I love the stuff and use a lot of it. it has its pros and cons like everything. I find it somewhat brittle so I try not to use it if I’m stretching a lot or forging after soldering and I only use it on small items that will heat quickly. i’ve never had a problem with it drying out. I use a needle for applying tiny amounts easily and accurately. I find it comes into its own when making chainmail if constructing a chain from hundreds of links it allows the process to be quick easy and convenient something I would never attempt with traditional methods. I would guess old school jewellers may not like it because it detracts from their traditional skills a bit like 3D printers, precious metal clays and micro welders. I tried making a video for beginners about using it. Here’s a link if you’re interested … https://youtu.be/O84conQ3amI … cheers Nick

I only use it for jump rings and granulation. I haven’t tried it for any complex soldering jobs as I wouldn’t trust it. I’ve found unless I’m using a single blob for a joint there is messy cleaning up from the residue. I’ve even had granules fall off! It has its uses for me but I prefer strip solder
    Last edited by CJ57; 26-04-2023 at 10:53 AM.

Interesting replies…thanks. Will look at your video Nick.

I am not a fan I find I can control the solid wire more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I am not a fan I find I can control the solid wire more easily.
    It is about control Bob as the consistency of the paste isn’t always the same especially if it’s been sitting. At least you can see the flow of strip

My biggest disaster was sweat soldering two flats, one on the other. No solder line at the edges, no clean way of adding more solder, no knowing whether inside it was all burnt flux, no separating the parts.
    Luckily at the time, silver was only £8 for an oz. Dennis.

It seems that paste is only really applicable or can be useful when used for small visible tasks……yes?

Yes I think so.

Then there was the problem of squeezing it out as it hardened. Cookson's tube squeezers did not match any of their tubes of silver solder, only gold.
    Strangely they were not aware of this.

The upshot was that I gave up paste altogether. Dennis.