Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Steel supplier

Default Tool Steel supplier

I have just started doing repoussé again (after a 30 year gap) and want to make some chasing tools and punches. Does anyone have a recommended supplier for buying tool steel (or silver steel I think it's called).
    I have a grinder, so looking forward to making some.
    I particularly want to make some chasing liners, as they seem very expensive to buy and the ones I have are very big.

Thank you

The problem is that you won't need much. You might look here: https://www.collegeengineering.co.uk/shop-online/
    Dennis.

Thanks Dennis. Is it Silver Steel that I use for making punches? I was a bit confused by all the different tool steels you can buy.

Silver steel is fine for making punches. "Tool steel" is one of those groups like "stainless steel" - there's loads in it. O1 (also sold as gauge plate) and silver steel are the two usually picked on for small tools - they're relatively easy to work, very easy to heat treat and reasonably readily available. Silver steel is usually sold centreless ground, while O1 is flat plates or squares. I can't say you'll never find O1 in round stock: I've got some 25mm bar, but that's outside the realms of most repousse punches.

Hi Susie, Not sure if this is any help or not, I buy lengths of Rebar in B&Q occasionally for playing around with making tools. Comes in 8 mm and 10 mm diameter reasonably cheap for experimenting with and seems to be water or oil hardenable to some degree … Nick

Fantastic. Thank you both so much for that info. And I will post pics of my results on here ��

Yes Susie, looking forward to the happy ending.Dennis.

Well! I am chuffed to bits!
    I had a look at rebar but opted to buy a short length of 6mm round silver steel rod 33cm length from Ebay for a fiver.
    Used a disc cutter on my drill to cut it into sections, and then I bought a small grinding drill bit to use on my mini desk drill, so used that to grind the steel, rather than lugging my giant grinder into my workshop.
    Finished it off with a sanding disc on my drill, then rubber burrs and then rouge.
    Have made my first lining chaser for repoussé! I'll test it out tomorrow as I think it might be a bit too curved, but it was really quick and easy once I knew how. Thanks Forum!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1395.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	13480

Name:	IMG_1399.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	13481

Name:	IMG_1406.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	13482

Name:	IMG_1408.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	13483

Looks great Susie … nothing quite as satisfying as making your own tools … N

I’ve had a thought though. Do I need to harden it? Had a look online and found conflicting recommendations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk