Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: palnic and rhodium plating

Smile palnic and rhodium plating

Hi,

I would like to plate a sterling silver choker with platinum, so contacted F Sinclair and they emailed back with quotes. However they mentioned either Palnic or Palnic and rhodium plating. I know what rhodium is, but what is Palnic please? I'm after a platinum like finish on my choker and would like the finish to be hard wearing. I called Sinclair's back to ask a few questions, but had a very strange and unhelpful bloke on the phone, who wasn't willing to explain anything or go into details colour differences etc, it was like talking to a brick wall. I would be extremely grateful if someone could explain to me the Palnic plating v Palnic and rhodium. Also - could anyone please recommend a plater in Hatton Garden that would be willing to have a normal conversation 😃?
    Thank you!
    Nat

Palnic is Palladium based and contains Nickle, and is considered to be hard wearing, how ever Plating is just that, and will wear in 12 months or so requiring re plating, just have the choker professionally polished it will look as good as Platinum

I don’t know about plating but I did wonder why you wanted silver plated in platinum. The achievable polish on silver would be lovely. I love polishing to that standard, so satisfying!

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Palnic is Palladium based and contains Nickle, and is considered to be hard wearing, how ever Plating is just that, and will wear in 12 months or so requiring re plating, just have the choker professionally polished it will look as good as Platinum
    Thank you for the explanation. It's because I'm setting an 18ct aquamarine in the centre of it and will need to plate the setting anyway as silver tarnishes and this will be visible through the stone. I suppose I could plate just the setting rather than the whole thing, but am worried the colour will be different. I am aware that plating provides just a temporary solution and will need re-doing after a period of time, depending on the thickness applied, however the piece is not something to wear daily, so the plating should last a while. Because of the nickel content I won't be able to use Palnic. Just wondered if anyone has experience with platinum plating and can recommend a place, please.
    Thank you!
    Nat

It's because I will need to plate a large stone setting in the centre of the choker otherwise the tarnish will be visible through the stone. And if I plate the setting only then the colours of the silver and the plated part will be different.

It’s quite common to have a contrasting setting usually gold against a white metal. I have 2 colours of gold with a diamond. I’m not sure it would tarnish behind the stone as that usually involves air. There may be a trick that I don’t know about that doesn’t involve plating

As I only make for family and friends, I have been able to observe my work over long periods of time, some worn in Spain. I have not observed tarnishing of silver bezels under translucent stones.

To preserve the beauty of the choker though, you might consider making it from Argentium silver, which is hallmarked as 925, and has anti-tarnish properties.

The sterling ring below, has a setting with a textured floor Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pt Pink Tourmaline Cabochon Ring 1.jpg  

I would imagine its a barrier coat as you shouldn't plate rhodium straight onto silver it messes the rhodium up and as it costs about a bizzilion pound a gram its good to look after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    As I only make for family and friends, I have been able to observe my work over long periods of time, some worn in Spain. I have not observed tarnishing of silver bezels under translucent stones.

To preserve the beauty of the choker though, you might consider making it from Argentium silver, which is hallmarked as 925, and has anti-tarnish properties.

The sterling ring below, has a setting with a textured floor Dennis.
    That's a brilliant idea Dennis, thank you, I don't know why I haven't thought of that!

Nat

Yes, I'm always impressed with how bright it stays.
    You do have to learn to handle it carefully though in the making process. It is more fragile while red hot, so it is best to solder it lying flat, and must be undisturbed after soldering, until it has air cooled. You can only use gentle clamps, or they can pinch the metal while hot. Dennis