Thread: Is Rose Gold the only viable pinkish-yellow metal for rings?

Question Is Rose Gold the only viable pinkish-yellow metal for rings?

I'm a layperson trying to understand jewelry and I'm left a bit surprised by the lack of look-alike, cheaper alternatives when it comes to rose gold rings.

From what I can see, metals with a comparable hue do exist, such as red/silicon brass/bronze, but I cannot find many rings with them as their material, and those that are there are quite thick and stocky. In theory, I have a specific type of ring in mind, such as a size 11 holding a hard stone (i.e. moissanite) with a thin shank; from all I can see, this style of ring is very much not available in anything but real rose gold. To be clear, I would be okay with getting one of those, and I'm even on board with commissioning one as well.

Still, I would like to know if it's even possible to explore other options or if the only viable golden yellow with shades of light red is genuine rose gold, be it plated or otherwise. Are bronze/brass equivalents too difficult to work with? Do they stain fingers when worn every day? Or is it just a market issue?

Rose gold is the precious metal with a higher proportion of copper in the alloy. A less emotive term is red gold. For economy you can also get gold filled or plated, but they will wear with use and show patches of the core metal.
    As you have already mentioned, there is a vast variety of suitable base metals in a similar colour, and they can be worn successfully if you don't become sensitive to them, or the fingers staining a little.
    If you have a specific idea in mind, all you can do is scour the web, or make it yourself. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    As you have already mentioned, there is a vast variety of suitable base metals in a similar colour, and they can be worn successfully if you don't become sensitive to them, or the fingers staining a little.
    Thank you so much for the information, Dennis. Regarding sensitivity and staining, do you have more information on that? I would very much like to avoid any "side-effects", so to speak. Do you happen to know which non-gold yellow-red base metals would be best for everyday use? From what I see online, brass and bronze do seem to reliably stain the skin, but maybe I'm missing something there.

I will not be making this myself, to be clear. I'm considering commissioning the ring to a jeweller and I would like to start that conversation with a degree of understanding of the challenges and options involved.

Also, while I find material sciences to be quite interesting they are also very complex, so I'd rather ask professionals like yourself to be sure, instead of just stumbling my way through vaguely related blog posts.

I’ll leave Dennis to continue but I would consider having it made in silver. It’s hard wearing for every day and gold plaing wouldn’t wear well on a ring in every day use. You could perhaps use a little rose gold in the decoration or as a mount or bezel for the setting to keep down costs. Caroline

To be clear, I am a hobbyist, only making for family and friends, and have never sold my work.
    In my early years, I worked with silver and gold to set off the often expensive semi precious gemstones.
    In recent times, when precious metals became really expensive, I found working with base metals very unsatisfying, so I turned to acrylics.
    I do know that base metal jewellery worn next to the skin can cause an unpleasant reactions. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BiCorn Cob Ring.jpg   St1 Laminated Ring.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I’ll leave Dennis to continue but I would consider having it made in silver. It’s hard wearing for every day and gold plaing wouldn’t wear well on a ring in every day use. You could perhaps use a little rose gold in the decoration or as a mount or bezel for the setting to keep down costs. Caroline
    I appreciate the suggestion but the overall metal color of the ring isn't something that can be compromised to that degree, sadly. I'm probably going to go with rosegold-filled silver so that it may last a good few years with proper care without completely breaking the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    To be clear, I am a hobbyist, only making for family and friends, and have never sold my work.
    In my early years, I worked with silver and gold to set off the often expensive semi precious gemstones.
    In recent times, when precious metals became really expensive, I found working with base metals very unsatisfying, so I turned to acrylics.
    I do know that base metal jewellery worn next to the skin can cause an unpleasant reactions. Dennis.
    I'll gladly take the opinion of an experienced hobbyist, then! Acrylics are something I'm definitively interested in myself, but for this ring I need a specific look and feel. As I said above, I'm going to try to see if I can get something that's rosegold-filled silver, to avoid any staining or reactions of any kind.

By the way, you mentioning base metals being unsatisfying is making me realize that that might be another important reason why most jewellers out there, even those in the lower price ranges, don't seem to want to work with those metals all that much.

I'm glad I looked into it but it seems like the market had already figured all this out as the most popular options also seem to be the ones that make the most sense 😅

Thank you everyone!

I don't work much in the base metals as it takes as long to make something in copper or brass as it does in silver but customers will not pay as much for them as they do for silver. Whilst there is a difference in material cost it isn't as much as the difference in perceived value of a copper item versus the same one in sterling.

"I'm probably going to go with rosegold-filled silver so that it may last a good few years with proper care" I think you be surprised how quick the Gold will wear through unless only worn occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    "I'm probably going to go with rosegold-filled silver so that it may last a good few years with proper care" I think you be surprised how quick the Gold will wear through unless only worn occasionally.
    I agree with Bob and Caro although if it isn’t being sold I don’t suppose it matters. It’s always frustrating when you’ve put the same amount of hours into making something in copper but it has to be cheap. There is just no point in wasting that time in the end
    With my designers head on if the shank was made in silver but the setting and the top half covered in gold as a design feature you’d never know. The shank would be hard wearing and the part you see the colour you want. Whoever you choose to make it would be able to draw something up for you