Thread: Ring mandrels and gauges

Default Ring mandrels and gauges

Do you find the size markings seem to vary from make to make? I suppose the answer is to buy both from the same manufacture!
    I found at least a good one size variation between my two sets. The question is which make is the best as when making a ring one size difference can make a marked difference when calculating the length of material for the shank.
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find that the plastic ring sizers you can get individually are a good match for my mandrel

Provided that the ring stick and ring sizers are from the same manufacturer, it doesn't really matter David which you use.

If you are corresponding with a client at a distance, then obviously they must use sizers that correspond.
    As already mentioned there are very cheap plastic options from Cookson, which work well:
    https://www.cooksongold.com/category...ic+ring+sizers

My ring stick is an ancient Wheatsheaf, which happens to match. Dennis

I use the Cookson's plastic set too. I've given one to the shop which stocks my jewellery to use so if someone asks for something in a certain size then I know that it will match mine.

My steel mandrel is about 1/4 size different and the stretching/reducing gadget is way out!

I use the Cookson's plastic set too. I've given one to the shop which stocks my jewellery to use so if someone asks for something in a certain size then I know that it will match mine.

My steel mandrel is about 1/4 size different and the stretching/reducing gadget is way out!

In Australia Wheatsheaf is the standard, most high end Jewellers use wheatsheaf here, anything else is a bit of a compromise. They don't come cheap a mandrel and stet of ring sizers about $600